Friday, February 2, 2024

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6am.

Another interesting day in paradise as you will see (or read)…

I was up early enough that Teresa made me breakfast, the usual coffee, scrambled eggs and half a bagel with strawberry preserves.

Troyclough resigned our game on the 21st move increasing my rating to 1606.

At 7:45 I took my shower, at 8:15 there’s a knock on my door and it’s the guy to fix our hot water heater. I explained I don’t understand much Spanish but I let him in to take a look at the problem and I understand there’s more to it than just putting on new plumber’s tape and tightening it with a wrench, as we need a new hose; still probably something I could have done weeks ago. I had him put Teresa’s telephone number in his phone so they can agree on a time to meet.

I left the apt at 9:15 and Marcos and Marshall were waiting for me at a Parva outside table. Marcos informed me there’s a new airline named JetSMART with low-cost flights (starting at 60,000 pesos?) to Santa Marta so hopefully other airlines will lower the cost of their seats. He also recommended this beach called Baru an hour from Cartagena.



Marshall informed me he was born on a beach. I bit and said, “really?”. He replied “yes, I’m a son of a beach”. 😊

A large flatbed truck pulled up and they unloaded a number of 20’ pieces of rebar and took them inside next door.

Marcos and Marshall left just after 10am and I moved inside and had a large latte for 10,500 pesos.

I received this interesting text message from someone in India. I replied and then blocked their number.



Teresa called and told me she will be having lunch in La Bahia. I explained I’m going to a restaurant in Poblado because I want to exchange a book. I was planning on taking a bus to Sweet Georgia in Poblado but now The Weather Channel is predicting showers.

A couple of my low rated opponents are giving me all I can handle in the endgame. I’m hoping for a win and a draw between the two but we’ll see.

I received an email from Margarita Montez letting me know she has 2 apts available in Laureles. I told her I’d keep an eye out for her.

I left at 11:30 and returned to the apt.

I left again at 12:30 and took a Didi to Sweet Georgia in Poblado for 11,000 pesos.  (I wanted to get there before the rain.) A block from the restaurant traffic wasn’t moving so I got out and walked the last block. I saw this interesting sight across the street



The man on the left is in the new police uniform that probably means he’s higher up than the normal policeman. He was putting on a bulletproof vest as I arrived. I certainly had their attention when I took the photo. Good thing they’re trained not to shoot bystanders.

Inside I exchanged my hardback, Becoming by Michelle O’Bama for 2 New York Times Bestsellers in paperback, home safe by Elizabeth Berg and The Round House by Louise Erdrich.

I had a waffle with scrambled eggs, coffee and a glass of orange juice for 43mil.



Teresa called and asked me to meet her for gelato at Antonio’s but I reminded her I’m in Poblado. She didn’t say anything about the guy to fix our hot water heater so I guess they have yet to connect.

I ordered a Didi for 15,000 pesos and it took him at least 10 minutes to arrive. I was standing near the entrance just out of the rain and the 2 men across the street were standing together on the street corner still keeping an eye on me. My best guess is there must be an important person in the area that needs protection.

When I got in the car the driver motioned for me to not slam the door which is unusual with the exception of taxis.

I was back at the apt in a steady drizzle by 2:30 and Teresa had returned.

Teresa wanted to go for pizza but I showed her the weather prediction for this evening



And she changed her mind and we had it delivered.

 

CREEPY THINGS



No comments:

Post a Comment