Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Monday, January 21, 2019


Today Laura flies from Bogota to JFK airport in New York, weather and government closure permitting, where she will be picked up with other au pairs and taken to a hotel in Connecticut.

Per the Today show (taped at 7am ET) New York and Boston will have near record low temperatures today and there are thousands of flights cancelled and thousands of others delayed.
I left the apt at 9:20 for the gym.

Right away I ran into Max (from Switzerland) and we talked a little about the football playoffs.  He speaks good English (with an accent) but I noticed at one time he used the Spanish word “partido” instead of “game”.  I texted Laura asking if she was at the airport.  She replied she was and she was waiting.  I asked if the screens show her flight leaving on time.  She replied that she is supposed to go to the waiting room (I assume she meant the gate or boarding area) at noon.  About 11 I got a phone call from Chuck and I gave him an update on Laura and my condolences for the Saints loss.  (It looks like they got cheated out of a win.)  I completed all my exercises and walked back to the apt.
I asked Teresa about making cookies today and she said first she has other things to do first -  go through clothes Laura left behind, wash some of them, box things to give to Esmeralda, resort the closet.  We also have to move the Christmas boxes to the storage room.

I got a call from Doug (and Barb).  They are back from Cartagena and were wondering if Laura got off okay.  I updated him about Laura and told him that I would let him know if I’m in the area (the mall or downtown Envigado) sometime this week and maybe we can meet.

According to the internet, Boston & NY got much less snow than expected – only 5-13 centimeters.

At 1pm I got a text from Laura that she’s on the plane and she said “Byeee”.
I can now see her flight online; it’s scheduled to arrive at JFK at 6:56pm at Terminal 4.


According to the Flight Tracker website for JFK, Laura’s flight – Avianca AV244 - landed on time at 7pm.  The agency warned us that she probably wouldn’t be able to contact us until tomorrow during a break in their orientation at the hotel.

I finished reading John Grisham’s Rainmaker on my Nook.  I started reading my new paperback Edge of Danger by Jack Higgins but after 10 pages I couldn’t get into it and I gave up.  In the future I’ll try to be more cafeful and read the first few pages of the book.



Laura called at 8:15 from the airport using Whatsapp.  She’s got her large suitcase, she’s with 5 other au pairs (including one from Thailand, go figure), she’s passed through customs and she’s already cold even though she’s still inside.  Most importantly, she’s happy!  She’ll text again tomorrow from the hotel.

Ten days until my brother arrives.  Physical therapy is going well on his knee.  Teresa cleared out some space in both bedroom closets so they don’t have to live out of their suitcases.

Surprisingly, Teresa gave me the go-ahead to make more cookies tomorrow.

Joke of the day
Three guys find themselves in Hell.  Let’s call them Jerry, Kenny, and Larry.  They were a little confused at their present situation, and were startled to see a door in the wall open.  Behind the door was perhaps the ugliest woman they had ever seen.  She was 3’4”, dirty, and they could smell her over the Brimstone. 

The voice of the Devil boomed out, “Jerry, you have sinned!  You are condemned to spend the rest of eternity in bed with this woman!”  And Jerry was whisked through the door by a group of lesser demons to his eternal torment.

This understandably shook up the other two, and so they both jumped when a second door opened, and they saw an even more disgusting example of womanhood gone wrong.  She was over 7’ tall, monstrous, covered in thick black hair, and flies circled her.

The voice of the Devil was heard again, louder than before, “Kenny, you have sinned!  You are condemned to spend the rest of eternity in bed with this woman!”  And Kenny, like Jerry, was whisked off, screaming and scratching, to his doom.

Larry, now alone, felt understandably anxious, and feared the worst when the third door opened.  And as the door inched open, he strained to see the figure of…Cindy Crawford!  Delighted, Larry jumped up, taking in the sight of this beautiful woman, barely dressed in a skimpy bikini.  Then he heard the voice of the Devil booming: “Cindy, you have sinned…”

No comments:

Post a Comment