Thursday, January 3, 2019

Wednesday, January 2, 2019


Last night I went to be at 11pm.  I woke up at 6:45 and got up at 7am.  Wow, I slept through the night.  What was different last night?  I remember when I took my melatonin at 10:15 I dropped one of the half size pieces on the floor.  I located it and took it along with my usual half size piece so I had closer to 3mg instead of 1 ½ mg.  Maybe that made the difference.  I remember being so warm lying in bed that I didn’t want to put the sheet on me so I waited awhile to cool off.

After breakfast, Laura and I left the apt at 8:15 and walked up to Avenida Poblado where we caught a Gascuña bus and got off at Calle 36.  (This bus fare increased to 3,300 pesos.)

In Bancolombia our turn number was A240, they were serving A209 and most seats were taken.  We waited 5 minutes and the numbers hadn’t changed so we walked over to Carbon de Leña where Laura had breakfast and I had a café con leche.

We were back at the bank by 9:20 and they were serving A234.  I went outside and to my usual ATM but it wasn’t working at all so I went to Colpatria (old Citibank) and paid a little more in ATM fee to get the amount of cash I needed.  Back at the bank it was our turn in about 10 minutes and we were served by the pretty 30-something lady who speaks a little English.  I understood something wasn’t working right and Laura explained that the bank was changing their end of year currency and if we return before 2:30 it might be working.  (Whatever that meant.)

Laura remembered Financiera Pagos so we went over there to see if we could get my cash.  I understood they couldn’t find it in their system because I selected Bancolombia or Davavienda as my pickup locations.  Now I know that.

I went to the curtain store Silvestre Parra across the street from the copy center I’ve used in the past.  Not only couldn’t they find my order but the lady said there is no Clara working there.  I tried calling Teresa twice but she didn’t answer.  Again I feel like a fool because of my limited Spanish.

I walked back to the apt and Teresa understood that I was at the wrong location.  She took the money and she’s going to pay the final bill for the blinds.

I checked online and was a little surprised to find my ATM withdrawal was shown as being from Citibank rather than Colpatria.

Teresa left the apt at 11:30 for her nueve eps appt at 12:30.
Laura texted me and asked me to bring her cellphone charger and her cash and asked to meet at 12:45.

I left just before 12:30 and caught a Sabaneta bus for 2,200 pesos – what?

At Bancolombia Laura was waiting for me.  I asked her if she had already taken a number and she said “no”.  She took me to the same cashier and asked if everything was working.  She sent us to the guy next to her and with a few more questions he gave me receipts for the deposits into the proper accounts.

We walked down to the mall and up to the 3rd floor to the food court.  (On the way Laura pointed out the blind store that I should have gone to.)

At Papa Johns after placing our order I pointed out that the pizza boxes are marked on the side with 8”, 12” and 14”.  No sooner had we received our food when Laura received a call from Teresa that she had forgotten her keys and was stranded outside the apt.

After we finished eating Laura had to return right away to the apt and I went to Home Center.  After checking with several people finally a girl took me to the cookie sheets.  All of them were at least 40cm long and out tiny oven is only 37cm long so that didn’t work.
I also couldn’t find a rubber door stop so Teresa wouldn’t lock herself out of the apt.

Back at the apt Teresa told me the doctor said she’s doing well and I understand she has to go to the clinic in Itagui early tomorrow morning.  If I’m up early enough I’ll go with her because after that we could go to Las Americas so I could give them the final payment for the hospital.  (They are in the same general area of the city.)

Believe it or not, the only thing I was lacking to make cookies was sugar (white).  I didn’t feel like getting dressed and going out in the heat (high of 87 degrees today) next door to buy sugar and Teresa misplaced the phone number for the muchacho who does deliveries.  Teresa recommended I wait until later in the afternoon.
Because the apt faces west we get sun coming in through the windows starting about 3pm and it doesn’t go behind the building across the street until about 5:30.

While waiting I watched episode 2 (Day of Days) of Band of Brothers.  Later I watched episode 3 (Carentan).

About 5:30 I went next door and bought milk and sugar.  When I came out Laura was standing outside by the street.  She was on her way to go shopping at the mall.

I showed her the Exito Express phone number I had copied down and she pointed to the delivery guy across the street and told me that he’s the one who makes deliveries.  I went across the street handed him a piece of paper and pen and asked for the guy’s number.  He had the security guard read the number off his back and he wrote it down for me.

Back at the apt I copied the numbers into my and Teresa’s cell phones.

Finally, we got down to business and I mixed the ingredients by hand (would be much easier with an electric mixer) and made 18 oatmeal cookies.  Skeptical Teresa tasted one and proclaimed it was delicious.  Now she wants to sell them on the street.  Lol.  She asked me to make another batch for her – made with artificial sugar so they would have less fat.  I said I don’t think that’s going to work.  Next time I think I’m going to try peanut butter cookies.
I started watching Spotlight (8.1) on Netflix.

Laura came back about 9pm and showed us her goodies – she bought a pair of winter boots for about $50, a pair of leggings and a couple presents for the kids.

I continued watching Spotlight until 10:30 when I switched to my book before going to bed.


Joke of the day
A group of third, fourth, and fifth graders accompanied by two lady teachers, went on a field trip to the local race track to learn about the thoroughbred horses and the supporting industry.

During the tour some of the children wanted to go to the toilet so it was decided that the girls would go with one teacher and the boys would go with the others.

As the teacher assigned to the boys waited outside the men’s toilet one of the boys came out and told her he couldn’t reach the urinal.  Having no choice she went inside and began hoisting up the little boys by the armpits.

As she lifted one she couldn’t help but notice that he was rather well endowed, especially for a little kid.

“I guess you must be in the fifth,” she said.

“No ma’am,” he replied, “I’m in the seventh, riding Silver Arrow.  But thanks for the lift anyhow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment