Thursday, April 2, 2020

Wednesday, April 1, 2020




Self-isolation Day 16.


Last night I went to bed at 10:45, got up once about 4:15, woke up at 6:30am and got up at 7am.


My back has been feeling much better the last few mornings so I guess the marigold extract is working.


I left the apt at 8:45. I wanted to walk by Eduardo Madrid Bakery to see if it was open, Parva to ensure it was closed and the copy center next to Aymara to see if it was open, but Teresa insisted I take a taxi.


I got out at the Exito back entrance and it they had it marked exit only.  At the main entrance I saw about a dozen people waiting their turn to go in.


I walked across the courtyard to Bancolombia where I found a sign that they were closed and to use their branches in Mayorca and Viva Envigado.  


In Todo Drogas, quieter than usual, I picked up my medications for the month.  I walked thru the park to the large copy center but it was closed.  Back at Exito I waited in line for 10 minutes to enter.  I had to show my cedula to the guard to prove I was allowed to enter (my cedula ends in ‘7’ allowing me to grocery shop on Wednesdays and Saturdays).  I looked for a jigsaw puzzle or parcheesi game but all the games they had were for little kids.  I took a taxi to Viva Envigado where I had to show my cedula again just to enter the mall.  All the stores were closed but I went up to the 2nd floor where I found a long line for Bancolombia.  I got in line, most people maintained an approximate 6’ distance from each other, and I finally reached the entrance 100 minutes later.  By then my whole back was feeling a little sore from all the standing in place.  I took my number and was called 5 minutes later.  With no problem I paid for the apt, health insurance and deposited the usual gym amount into Laura’s account – not sure if Smartfit will withdraw it.  The only good news is I got 4,030 pesos per dollar for my World Remit transfer.


I saw that Dollar City was open and I walked through but they didn’t have any adult games either.


In Exito I picked up a few things and walked back to the apt., the whole procedure of getting my medications and paying for the apt, etc. taking 2 hours and 45 minutes.


Teresa was concerned because she had a doctor’s prescription emailed to her but we don’t know where to print it.  I know the Envigado park copy center is closed, I don’t know about the one next to Aymara and I didn’t notice if Auros was open when I was in Exito.  I copied the pdf file to a flash drive and Teresa found a friend of Wilson’s to print it this weekend.  I noticed that her doctor gave her an appointment for October 6th.


I don’t think we got up to 80 degrees today.


Per the evening news the number of coronavirus cases has increased from 906 to 1,065 since yesterday with 107 in Antioquia.  Bogota has the most cases with 472.  It seems the smaller the town the fewer cases and Jeff from Medellin Guru mentioned that there are quite a few pueblos with no cases so they will probably reopen (no quarantine) first.


Here is the breakdown by age (showing change since yesterday):

Minors under 20: 45à57

20-40 years of age: 399à477

40-60 years of age: 304à355

Older than 60: 158à176


There have been 17 deaths and where the others are convalescing:

ICU – 35à47

Hospitalized – 53à72

At home – 771à890


Meanwhile, back in the US, for the first time 1,000 deaths in a single day.  Hmmm, for those who were comparing the coronavirus to annual auto deaths, aren’t we now higher than the daily average highway deaths?  One of those deaths was a six-week-old baby, who never got the chance to learn to drive.


At 10:15 we experienced a tremblor.  I was lying on the couch when I heard the balcony door shake slightly, otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed anything.  That must have been the foreshock because a minute later it happened again only this time much stronger.  According to my Earthquake Alert app it was a 5.1 earthquake, 46 miles away in Betania and at a depth of 59.3 miles.


Joke of the day

Three sons left home, went out on their own and prospered.

They discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly mother.

The first said: "I built a big house for our mother."

The second said: "I sent her a Mercedes with a driver."

The third said: "You remember how our mother enjoys reading the Bible. Now she can't see very well. So I sent her a remarkable parrot that recites the entire Bible. It took elders in the church 12 years to teach him. Mama just has to name the chapter and verse and the parrot recites it."

Soon thereafter, their mother sent out her letters of thanks.

"William," she said, "the house you built is so huge. I live only in one room, but I have to clean the whole house."

"Arnold," she said, "I am too old to travel. I stay most of the time at home so I rarely use the Mercedes. And that driver is so rude! He's a pain!"

"But David," she said, "the chicken was delicious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment