Friday, April 9, 2021

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6:30.

The streets are wet so I guess we had a little rain overnight.

The morning news reported that ICUs in some Medellin hospitals are at 100% occupancy which is why tonight we start a weekend quarantine. We can’t go out Friday through Sunday and this will probably continue for some weeks until the ICU occupancy rate goes down.

Teresa left at 8am for her gym class. I called my bank and asked them about Fed-Exing my stimulus check to them. The lady said to just endorse it with my account number under my signature and add “For deposit only” and send it to their headquarters in Texas. While I’m waiting for the check she said she would send me a deposit form and we’ll see which gets her first.

I took advantage of the fact that Teresa was gone to give myself a 20-minute haircut.

I left the apt at 8:45 and walked to the mall where I had a café con leche in Todo Fresa returning to the apt by taxi at 11am.

Teresa called at noon and explained that she’s at Wilson’s restaurant and I should have lunch by myself “en la calle”. I left at 12:30 and walked to Asados Rogelio. I saw a couple four-tops but didn’t want to take up space needlessly so I took one of two small tables with 3 chairs. As soon as I sat down I saw nearby was Doyle, his girlfriend and “grandma and granddaughter”. I finished eating by 1:45 so I walked over to Parva where I had a café con leche. While sitting at an outside table the strawberry muchacho came by and I bought a bag of strawberries for 20mil. (Less strawberries than I used to buy years ago for 12mil at the Envigado station but that’s inflation for you. But I feel I’m contributing to the Colombian (Venezuelan?) economy.) I returned just after 2pm and I started my chess lesson with Juan Castro at 2:30 just as Teresa came home.

Juan told me he thinks he caught Covid-19 as he was pretty sick on Tuesday.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi today 4 games to 2.

On the evening news it was reported that today was the worst day Medellin has had for new Covid-19 infections.

Well, our weekend isolation started tonight at 8pm but I still heard the guy in the street selling obleas at 8:30. Lol.

I was reading my paperback book as part of my pre-sleep routine when all of a sudden I felt pain in my back. For a change it was my upper back not my lower back but pain is pain. I moved from the recliner to the table sitting in a straight back chair but that didn’t help. Leaning over the table didn’t help either. I certainly didn’t want to take an Excedrin Migraine this late at night because the caffeine in it wouldn’t allow me to sleep. I showed Teresa packages of Dolex and Advil and asked her which would be better for pain but still allow me to sleep and she pointed to Dolex. I took one and strangely, less than a minute later, like 5 seconds, the pain went away. It didn’t seem like it even had time to dissolve in my stomach. Maybe it was just conincidence and I somehow changed position to make it go away. Lol.

 

The US has 30,864,924 ð 30,937,638 ð 31,010,883 coronavirus cases with 555,900+ ð 558,500+ ð 559,400+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 2,468,236 ð 2,479,617 ð 2,492,081 cases with 64,524 ð 64,767 ð 65,014 deaths. Medellin has 221,134 ð 223,104 ð 225,293 cases, an increase of 2,188 from April 7th to 8th. Envigado has a total of 19,791 cases, an increase of 135 from April 7th to 8th.

Joke of the day

My wife found out that our dog (a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the Veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine.

The vet then proceeded to tell Andrea that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the store and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

Andrea went to the store and bought some "Nair" hair remover.

At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

Andrea said, "I'm not using it under my arms.”

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't use body lotion for a couple of days."

Andrea replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer.”

The pharmacist says, "Well then, stay off your bicycle for about a week."

No comments:

Post a Comment