Friday, May 26, 2023

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once at 2:30, but didn’t fall back asleep until about 3:30, finally getting up about 9 after Jim had finished his shower.

Since my suitcase had yet to arrive, I had to put my travel clothes back on.

He went to get a haircut and I walked 2 blocks away to a Dunkin Donuts. Surprise, there were no tables and chairs (and the owners/workers were obviously Indian). 2nd surprise, I was able to buy a latte. I sat on a window ledge next to a long “table” to consume my apple fritter and latte. A black guy came in, called me “bro” and eventually asked if I could buy a brother a small coffee for $2.85. I gave him $5 and told him to treat himself to a medium coffee. He bought the small and pocketed the change.

When I was finished, I walked 2 blocks further to a Walgreens where I bought small bottles of Excedrin Migraine and Tums, a small package of band-aids and 2 Pilot G-2 gel pens (can’t believe I came without a pen).

I asked the cashier if there happened to be an Ace Hardware in the area and she pointed and said, “around the corner and about a block”. I walked there and bought a 4-pak of plastic corner guards for our bed.

Across the street I saw a place called Breakfast House Café & Restaurant that looked interesting.

I returned to the apt and Jim and I checked but my suitcase still hadn’t arrived. Jimmy loaned me a pair of navy-blue socks and a navy-blue tie. We left at noon and stopped at Nordstrom Rack near Old Orchard mall where I bought a pair of black pants, black belt, and a white shirt. At a couple stores down I bought a black pair of shoes at DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse). Now finally dressed we continued on to the mortuary in Glenview.

I introduced myself again to Jim Starr again, Annette’s husband and gave him my condolences. I saw Annette’s brother Fritzie and sister Kia. We all said our final goodbyes and they closed the casket as the public wake started at 3pm.

There were 9 large flower displays, one from a former senator (DeLeo?) shaped like Illinois with a red cardinal on it.

Jim stood closest to the casket, then Jimmy, then Jeannie, Jacob and finally me. From 3pm on until a little after 8pm there was a nonstop line out the door. I saw people I hadn’t seen in 30 years or so. Everyone was older but their basic features were the same. Those that were closest to me I remembered their names: Dean and Gayle, Chris and Georgia, Roseann, Valerie, Sherry, Chris and his husband Mark.

We left about 8:30 and Jim drove us back to his condo. At my suggestion, Jim asked at the front desk and my suitcase had arrived. He went to meet some friends and I went down to the store where I bought a large bag of Fritos. I only ate a few of them while sending a few texts to Teresa and Laura.

I went to bed at 10pm.

 

Why My Kid is Crying



No comments:

Post a Comment