Saturday, May 27, 2023

Friday, May 26, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6:30.

I packed all my stuff, traffic was slow and I didn’t meet Jeannie at her apt until 9:30.

Jeannie showed me around the neighborhood, we had breakfast at Egg Harbor Café a short walk away and I bought a Chicago Sun Times newspaper.

She showed me where everything was in the apt and I left about noon.

At the Secretary of State office, they told me to come back about 2:30 and they would see if they could get me in.

I drove a short distance away to Deerfield and had a chocolate (CAKE!) donut at Deerfield Bakery.




I didn’t like the looks of their Bear Claw because it contained a lot of chocolate. I read the newspaper and started working on the crossword puzzle. It was a lot harder than it was before (I’m really out of practice).

I called Bart and we’re meeting at Johnnie’s restaurant on Algonquin Rd in Rolling Meadows tomorrow at noon.

I left about an hour later and back at the SOS office they let me in, checked my ID (passport), took my photo and I had to do an eye test but it was easy because I was able to use both eyes instead of one at a time. I didn’t have to have a driving test (whoopee), I paid $5 and received a temporary license and within 15 days they’ll send my renewed license good for 4 years. (In the future because I’ll be over 80 years old, I believe I’ll have to renew every 2 years.)

I stopped at a Shell gas station and filled up the car for $45.72. I didn’t know how to open the door for the gas and when I asked an attendant inside he just pushed on the door and it popped open.

I drove down to Niles and walked through Golf Mill shopping center. Sadly, most of the stores are closed and it’s a shell of what it used to be. I stopped in LensCrafters to have them look at the streak on my sunglasses but the lady said it’s a scratch not a stain. . I stopped in Ross, Dress for Less and bought a 6-pack of light white socks for $11.01.



The Best Buy that used to be on a nearby corner is now an auto dealership.

I drove to the house Annette and I had built in 1981 

and met Mike Szerlong and his wife working in the yard. They were very surprised to hear that Annette had passed as “she was just here”. He showed me around the back yard as it’s now fenced in. Nice guy! (Later I did a Zillow lookup and the estimate was $790,000.)

I was at the Greek restaurant Plateia in Niles before 5pm but Irina didn’t show up until 5:45. She explained she didn’t know anything about the driver’s license (she thought it was in the box that arrived that only contained my Capital One 360 debit card and I believe her).

I stopped at Goodis and had a Chicago style hotdog and a Pepsi for $7.22, the hotdog being a lot skinnier than I remember.

I left about 8pm and returned to Jeannie’s apt just before dark and my cellphone battery was almost dead.

I went to bed at 10pm.

 

Why My Kid is Crying



No comments:

Post a Comment