Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday, April 8th, 2013




Today we’re supposed to call about my Cedula.

Angela needs to borrow 100mil from us today and she will return it a week from this Wednesday.  We’re going to walk over there this afternoon and they’ll get a chance to see Angel.

Reina told me my Cedula might be ready for me on Friday.

Reina told me that Evan and Judy are in Cancun, Mexico until next Monday.  She asked me what’s so special about Cancun.  I told her it has a lot of beautiful resorts next to the ocean for people who can afford to stay there.  And then I showed her where Cancun is relative to Colombia.  She didn’t know it was next to the ocean.

I’ve decided the only way I’m going to be able to stand the heat here in Medellin in the afternoon is to always wear t-shirts, shorts, and sandals.  The only problem is I only have 1 t-shirt and 2 pairs of shorts.  I’ll certainly be buying more as soon as I can afford it.  At least t-shirts should be inexpensive and will certainly be easier to wash and dry.  Medellin is called the “City of Eternal Spring” but to me it’s definitely the “City of Eternal Summer”.  

I gave Dylan 3 mil and he went and bought soap and later I gave him 6mil for gasoline for the motorcycle.  At least that’s cheaper than bus fare.

Angela invited us to come tomorrow for lunch.  She’s having frijoles (beans).  I told Reina a few days ago that because of all the rice and bread we eat here that frijoles are probably important for my diet but we forgot to buy them last time we were at the grocery store.  

After we came back from Angela’s house I found this email waiting for me:

Message for U.S. Citizens

The U.S. Embassy is Coming to You!

To further assist U.S. citizens in Colombia, the U.S. Embassy will be visiting Medellin on Friday, April 12th to accept passport and report of birth applications and perform notary services.  Please be aware that these are the only services that will be provided on that day, and we will not be able to respond to visa questions or Social Security questions.  We also are unable to apostille documents.

For those of you who don’t know what an apostille is, apostilling a document is recognized internationally as notarizing a document is recognized in America.
Anyway it’s nice to hear the US Embassy comes to us once in a while.

Reina went to pick up the dress she left for adjustment the other day – 7 mil.  I’ll probably take my new shorts in to have the waist taken in - it’s a 34 and just about an inch to big.  She came back without the dress apparently it isn’t ready yet.

I caught another small lizard in the living room and tossed it into the tree outside our balcony.  I’m glad I was able to get him this time without killing him or damaging his tail.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terry. I read a couple of your latest posts, then started at the very beginning, March 2013. I am enjoying your blog immensely. I plan to visit Medellin for a couple weeks around October, with an eye toward more extended stays in the future. So it's research time and your blog has my attention now. Question, on the ExPat site they said wearing short pants in Medellin is a cultural faux pas. How do you feel about that? Personally, anytime it's above 60 degrees, I am much more comfortable in short sleeves and shorts.

    Thanks,

    ds
    Atlanta, Ga

    ReplyDelete