Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday, June 10th, 2013



I went to bed at 11pm, got up at 6:30, only made 1 trip to the bathroom overnight and I feel good.
Remember back on March 13th when I was with my brother and I picked up 4 free postcards at the Blue Marlin restaurant?  I wrote brief notes on each along with the address of my blog.  They are for my barber, my auto mechanic, the cook & owner of the Niles Grill where I used to have breakfast and the salespeople at Panera Bread where I would sometimes stop for iced tea.  While I was at the hotel yesterday the lady at the desk spoke near perfect English so I asked her if I could mail my postcards from the hotel.  She said no, but I could mail them from Exito.  I asked if I could buy the stamps there also and she said yes, but they may not need any postage.  What?  Now I’m starting to wonder if I can believe her about Exito.  I will be checking that out when it isn’t so busy.

Its obvious today is another holiday as I didn’t see any kids walking to school this morning and the neighborhood is very quiet.  I got to Viva at 8:25 and since the gates were still down I understood it was closed for the holiday.  Where am I going to have breakfast - at the hotel again?  I walked around to the back and they were just opening the gates and I noticed the Exito hours – they don’t open until 9am on Sundays - and holidays!  

I tried to take money out of the ATM but again was denied.  Maybe they ran out of money but just in case I wrote down the message in Spanish and later translated it to “It cannot be read. Turn to our office…” What?  Don’t tell me I’m having troubles with this card again?  If I can’t get money today I won’t be able to see the movie – I’ll have to keep what little I still have on hand for food.  It’s a good thing I have another account and I had transferred money to it last week as I have it just for this reason.
11:30 I headed back to Viva with both my debit cards.  I tried the USAA account again first and didn’t have any problem getting money out this time.  Maybe they refilled the ATMs since this morning?  For lunch I had a FriSnack at Frisby’s for 8,900 ($4.94).  What’s interesting is the lady’s pronunciation sounded like Free Snack which sounds even better.  Lol. 

Right after lunch I took a taxi to Terminal del Sur for 8,500 ($4.72).  I had hoped to be able to do some shopping for some things I couldn’t find in my local Exito but it wasn’t that kind of a shopping center.  It’s a terminal near the domestic airport for the metro and for a lot of buses into and out of the city.  The few stores they had were closed and about all that was open were the fast food and typical Colombian restaurants.


Walking into the movie theater some short film had already started.  It was dark except for some small lights in the floor of the aisles and I was happy to have the usher guide me towards my seat (F-14).  The short was all in Spanish and appeared to be an advertisement for some Colombian golfer.  The sound wasn’t good – I could even hear the projector in the rear balcony – and the video wasn’t clear.  I was hoping this wouldn’t be a problem with the feature film After Earth but it turned out not to be a concern when it started 10 minutes later.  I didn’t have any trouble hearing most of the audio and of course the subtitles were in Spanish.  The movie was pretty good – mainly featuring Will Smith’s son Jadan.  

The only problem was during the movie I felt like I had broken off a piece of tooth.  I spit it out and put it in my pocket and verified later it was indeed a piece of one of my back molars.  Now I guess I’ll need to find a dentist to fix it.

After the movie I took a taxi home for 10,500 ($5.83).  So this afternoon’s entertainment cost me a total of 31,500 ($17.50) counting the movie, popcorn, Pepsi, and taxi each way – not to mention an upcoming dental visit.  A little pricey because of the taxis but I won’t be doing it very often.  And I think I’d better make eating popcorn more the exception than the rule from now on!

Coming out of the theater was interesting because as they were all (about 20) filing out almost everyone was checking his or her cell phone. Lol.

I stopped at the ATM again on my way to dinner to pick up cash for what should be the remainder of the week.

Dinner was chili con carne and Mandarin juice at El Comedor de Chava for 11,600 ($6.44).  I stopped at Exito on the way back and picked up a 30-day supply of my enlarged prostate medicine (Tamsulosin) for 40,500 ($22.50).

7pm I’m back at the apartment to watch The Bachelorette.  7:15 and some guy buzzes my apartment from downstairs.  Of course I don’t understand what he’s saying until I hear comeda (food).  I gave him the remainder of my bag of milk and a couple of small packages of crackers.  (I have to admit I had my pepper spray in my hand just in case.)
 


I got an email tonight from Eddie; he’s now in Medellin.  Hopefully I can meet him sometime in the next few days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment