Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013

Went to bed at 10:45 got up at 6:15.  Although I got up 3 times during the night I had no trouble getting back to sleep.

The Rosetta Stone lessons can be tiring, especially when they constantly tell you you’re mispronouncing everything – even easy words like “adios”.  I took a nap from 9am to 10am.

If that Philly Steak place is going to be open at all it should definitely be on Saturday.  I checked all the bus routes I have and the new 195ii looks like it goes to and from Avenida 80 and 2 blocks from the restaurant.  The buses come every 15 minutes and using the bus should save me about 8 blocks each way.  I think it’s worth a buck or two to save my now tired legs.

Once again it didn’t work the way I had hoped.  I left the apartment about noon and got delayed by John William.   (BTW, his uncle who named him was sure the American spelling was Jhon so that’s what it became.  He only found out later it was incorrect but at least he figures he won’t be a victim of identify fraud. lol)  We stopped at the corner snack shop and he bought me a Pepsi.  I learned the good looking woman that lives in the apartment next to his office is named Olga but is recently married.  Finally about noon I decided I should get going before I got really hungry. 

I walked over to Avenida 80 and about 7 minutes later my bus came by but I didn’t recognize it until it was already on top of me and by then it was too late.  At least now I knew it didn’t look like the other buses – it’s small and green and says “Santa Lucia” at the top and the route number – 195ii – is in small letters on the windshield.  At that time it’s 12:07 so there should be another one by about 12:22.  At 12:25 I saw my bus arrive across the street – going the other way.  If that’s the same exact bus I missed then it must be a 30 minute round trip route and if there isn’t another bus on the route then I should catch that same bus about 12:37 and that’s exactly what happened.  On the route it turned a little earlier than I thought it would and I got dropped off a couple of blocks further west than I had hoped.  I saw another 195ii bus sitting on the side of the road there so maybe it broke down.   I ended up still walking about 10 blocks to get to Philly Steaks.  (On the way I walked by a barber shop where 2 guys were playing a game of chess outside on the porch.)  At least this time they were open.  I was the only customer.  There were 2 guys who didn’t speak English working the place – the owner wasn’t there.  I ordered the ½ portion of their classic Philly Steak sandwich for 13mil ($7.22) and a Pepsi for 2,700 ($1.50).  The ½ order was huge – it was actually a sandwich cut in half so that each half was still about 9 inches long but it was tasty.  I ate half of it and asked for the other half to go.  I learned they didn’t open until 1pm yesterday but they opened at 10am today.  I left and walked back to Laureles Mall where I studied my chess course until about 5pm.  (On the way back I gave the other half of my sandwich to a homeless man I saw just outside Viva.)  Since I had a late lunch about 2pm I went to Viva and had cole slaw for 4,600 ($2.56) and corn on the cob for 5,600 ($3.11) at Frisby.  I also bought a bag of milk 1520 (84 cents) at Exito and had a bowl of cereal with my medicine.

I saw Jhon on the way back to the apartment and chatted with him and one of his students, Diego, for a bit.  I told Jhon I would buy him lunch at Philly Steaks next time he had a couple of hours free.

Now I’m watching the Chicago Blackhawks play the Boston Bruins on NBC thanks to USTVNOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment