Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday, June 27th, 2013

Last night I finished reading Micro by Michael Crichton.  It is a good science fiction adventure story. 

Last night I went to bed at midnight but woke up at 4am and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I got up at 5am and caught the Circular Sur 303 bus from Viva Mall at 6:30 am.  I noticed it made stops: just across the street from Home Center on Calle 44 (aka San Juan) at 6:35, at San Antonio Exito at 6:55, and I got off at the Monterrey C.C. at 7:10 am.  I walked about 12 blocks east to The Flip Flop Sandwich Shop which is now in a larger location across the street fronting a hostel at Carrera 36 #8A-103.  I got there about 7:40 and they don’t open until 8am when I had an order of their Animal: 2 eggs scrambled, 2 strips of bacon crispy, 2 slices of French toast and 2 cups of coffee for 13mil ($7.22).  I asked the owner, Chris?, where I could watch NFL football games in the fall and he told me I could see broadcast games (CBS, NBC, ABC) at Hooters and cable games at Patrick’s Irish Pub.  I left the restaurant just after 8:30 and walked south to an Exito Express, turned right (west) walked about 3 blocks to Avenida Poblado, turned left (south) and walked another 3 blocks and crossed the street at Calle 1 Sur (Spanish for south).  (On the way I saw 2 girls who turned out to be sisters walking side by side sharing earbuds – probably listening to music.  I asked them in Spanish where is Oviedo C.C. because the office is supposed to be in the same area.  They told me – in perfect English - and it became obvious it was further than I needed to go.  While I was waiting to cross the Ave. Pobaldo one of the sisters had come back because they were concerned I was turning at the wrong location to get to Oviedo C.C.  I explained the situation, apologized, and thanked her for her concern.)  It turns out for the entrance to the dentist office you have to walk around the back of the Colmena building by walking past Citibank on the left and going down some stairs and through the parking lot. 

I got there just about 9am and the dentist’s office door was locked.  I knocked but there was no answer.  Shoot, they haven’t opened yet I thought.  I went back down to the entrance and while I was asking the guard another man, speaking English, took me upstairs once again to the dentist office and knocked again on the door.  This time a young lady answered wearing a dental assistant outfit with her mask on.  Obviously she and the dentist were working on a patient.  I asked her if she spoke English and she said “no” and motioned towards the dentist in the next room.  She took me in while a patient was still in the chair and the dentist, in near perfect English, explained he would be with me in a few minutes.  According to his business card his name is Jorge Alberto Rendon Franco, and one of the things he explained is that doctors have to read medical journals that are only in English so they are forced to learn to at least read and write.  In his case he spent 9 months studying in a small town near Santa Barbara, CA and that’s where he learned to speak English.  He said he only has a few English patients a month and wished he could practice more.  He spent at least 30 minutes talking to me and giving me a visual inspection.  He said I have 3 broken crowns but, because I’m not experiencing any difficulties, only one needs attention.  He charged me 70mil ($38.89) for today’s consultation and I have an appointment at 11:30 tomorrow for a cleaning for 120mil ($66.67).  A crown costs between 850mil ($472.22) and 1,100mil ($611.11) depending on the type of material.  (He mentioned he is in the process of switching to a material called Enamic by Vita.)  Yikes!  I better not need very many crowns the rest of my life.

I walked another 10 blocks or so down to Monterrey C.C. where I caught the Circular Sur 303 bus at 11:05am and once I got on I could see that the bus stop is actually across the street.  On the way back there were stops at University EAFIT at 11:07, what should be Exito Poblado at 11:27, Saludcoop at 11:30, and finally back at Exito Laureles at 11:40.  We were slowed down not just by lunchtime traffic but also because one lane was closed off for tree trimming.  It’s so stuffy and uncomfortable when I’m dressed in jeans and the bus doesn’t move!

Lunch was a FrisBurrito at Frisby for 5,900 ($3.28) and a vanilla milkshake for 7,500 ($4.17).  I liked the FrisBurrito but it had a little too much sauce and the milkshake had some “candy” on top I didn’t care for.  The lines have gone down at Exito so while I was there I bought that white t-shirt for 16,900 ($9.39).

I had a nap from 3 to 4:30 this afternoon.

Dinner was a mini shish kebab for 6,800 ($3.78) and mango juice for 3mil ($1.67) at SanJote in Laureles Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment