Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wednesday, February 12th, 2014



Last night I watched the 2009 movie Everyman’s War (5.2) on Netflix “Oregon filmmaker Thad Smith and his screenwriter brother, Craig, honor their father's real-life legacy with this independently produced feature about Don Smith's involvement in the famed Battle of the Bulge. Portland native Cole Carson stars as the young Army sergeant, who was wounded while defending the small German town of Nennig from a Nazi offensive and managed to make his way, unarmed, through enemy territory.”  This was not a first class movie – action scenes were realistic but a lot of the acting and dialogue were not first rate.

I went to bed at 11, fell asleep rather quickly, woke up at 4:40 and got up at 5:15.

At my usual breakfast at Los Mejores I was joined by Jhon for the first time in a couple months.  He claims he was there every morning as usual but I can’t believe I wouldn’t have seen him one time or another.

We walked back towards his office together and he commented that yesterday all the men were at the Tinto store flirting with the young ladies there instead of sitting at the corner store as they usually do.  I told him that’s what I’m going to do as I said my goodbye and stopped for another cup of coffee.  Gonzalo was there sitting with a couple of old ladies.  After the young lady brought my coffee – 1,200 pesos – I told Gonzalo that the coffee he used to make for me was much better than this.  

By 8:20 I was at Redd’s where I recognized a taxi driver that had been recommended to me by someone – probably Jhon.  I got his name – Sergio – and cell phone number – 312 249 9061 – and tried to communicate to him that my brother would be here in 2 days and a week later he would need a ride to the airport.

While drinking my orange juice, reading my Nook, and keeping an eye peeled for the lady I saw yesterday, I also observed the frequency of the Circular Sur 302 buses.  They seemed to come every 3 minutes, plus or minus a minute, so if I did see her I would probably have at most 2-3 minutes to talk to her before she boarded a bus.  That probably means I would have to get on the bus with her to complete a conversation. 
Unfortunately, I didn’t see her while I was there from 8:20-8:45.

I don’t know how or why but it occurred to me this morning I have been referring to my house cleaner as Beatriz instead of Olga.  I just checked and it looks like I only did that yesterday so I went back and corrected yesterday’s blog posting.

At 12:30 on my way to Viva CC I ran into Beatriz again only this time she crossed the street to avoid me.  

Lunch was the chicken teriyaki at Sarku’s for 9,900.

At Exito I finally found a kitchen towel with reddish orange stripes (6,400).  Now I have one for the utility room, the guest bathroom and one to cover my eyes in lieu of a facemask and a second set in blue or purple for when the red set is in the laundry.

After lunch I went down to Dogger (haven’t been there in a while) and had a bag of chips and Pepsi from the fountain.  I think one cute young girl there thought my Spanish was the most interesting thing she’s ever heard.  I have to admit I love flirting with the senioritas.  (That will probably come to an end when I get a girlfriend as I've heard Colombianas can be very jealous towards their men.)

I sat at the corner store for a while drinking a bottle of water and reading my Nook.  Some locals were trying to put up a long banner that read “Julian Bedoya 107 camara”.  Some type of elections coming up I’ll bet.

Harry was supposed to call me at 12:30 and then meet me at LM at 4:30.  As of 4:15 I hadn’t heard anything from him so I’m not going to be an idiot and sit there waiting for him not to show up.

Dinner was a bowl of chili and strawberry juice with milk for 12,800 at El Comedor de Chiva.  I think they gave me a discount on the chili because I skipped a few things that normally come with it.

Cutting through Viva CC on my way back to the apartment a cute young lady that works at the reception desk motioned me over.  (I had flirted with her a little a week or so ago.  I think it was nearing closing time and I just talked to her about being bored and tired.)  Apparently she thought her colleague (can’t think of a better word at the moment) can speak English but she refused to even try.  I spoke some English to her and she seemed to understand but wouldn’t even attempt a conversation.  

Walking by Beatriz house I noticed a few people going in.  I had the thought that maybe her mother has passed away and that’s why she wasn’t working yesterday or today.

The past couple of day there has been a baby bird just outside Jhon’s office.  I observed the mother feeding it a couple days ago.  Tonight I stopped by after dark and it was standing on the garage railing so I scared it back into the grass.  Maybe I can give it some flying lessons tomorrow.

12 Years a Slave is playing at Vizcaya at 12:20 so tomorrow I think I’ll have lunch at the FFSS, see the movie and then pick up my mail at MBE on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment