Friday, July 15, 2016

Thursday, July 14th, 2016



We were awakened at 7am by sledge hammers breaking up more of the sidewalk.  I think they’ll be gone from this area in a week or so.

Another overcast morning and it feels cooler than usual.  I hope we don’t get rain for the chess simultaneous exhibition.

I thought we were going to Caldas today to check on the status of the dining room chairs we were having fixed but Teresa talked to someone and I understand we’re going tomorrow.

On television I saw that the truck strikers have dumped out food, burned tires and even their trucks – I think in retaliation for not getting a salary increase.

I got to the park just before 2pm.  I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary except there were sideless tents set up on the closed street and in the park selling arts and crafts.  

One of the other 4 guys challenged me to a match and I won a close game against him.  My best guess now was that we would be playing a round robin with each other.  I watched another match with 2 of the other guys and after it finished I expected one of them would challenge me, but no.  I ran into Chuck, back from his trip to Armenia.  Another player talked to me and with Chuck’s help I finally learned that at 4pm there would be 2 international masters that would be having a simultaneous and I would be one of the 50 playing against him.  (I also learned that today is Envigado’s 241st anniversary.)  We walked over towards the restaurant/bar area and I saw a roped off section and they were setting up tables.  They started calling off names so I asked Chuck to listen for my name while I went back to the apt to get a pen and paper to record it.  At the apt I explained to Teresa what was going on and I took a pen and my Chess Player’s Scorebook that I started back in 2014.

When I returned Chuck told me they had called my name twice already.  I showed them my cedula and waited about 15 minutes for them to set up a makeshift table (actually an instrument trunk) for me.

My opponent was a young man named Juan Guerrero Sierra who spoke very good English.  Over time I learned that he lives in Envigado and played in a chess tournament last December in Las Vegas.

There was a band set up playing too loud (at least for me) music. 
I managed to last 45 moves against Juan but I was down a bishop by the 24th move.  Still it was an interesting experience.

When I got back to the apt I asked Teresa if she wanted to go to the park so see what was going on and get something to eat.  She opted out and I made waffles for us for dinner.

I did some googling and finally found Juan – his rating is 2279 (compared to my estimated 1700) and he’s been an International Master since 2009.  He’s ranked #5,851 in the world, #629 in the Americas, and #34 in Colombia.  It also turned out that the tournament he played in Las Vegas was December of 2014.

It started raining soon after I returned to the apt and it was still raining when went to bed at 11pm.

The latest Medellin Living newspaper had the following articles: Medellin Wins Prestigious Prize for Outstanding Achievement Towards Sustainable Living, Medellin Begins Cracking down on sex tourism, 2 foreigners arrested, and Bryan Cranston takes on the Medellin Cartel in new film.  For some reason it no longer allows me to copy articles to my blog so if anyone is interested you should go to MedellinLiving.com to subscribe.  It is free!

T-shirt of the day: Talk is cheap.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, if the ML newspaper won't allow you to copy articles any longer, will it still let you copy the URLs to the articles? That way you could mention the name of the article and add the link in your posts for interested parties.

    BTW, the film with Cranston that you mentioned today was partly shot here in Tampa, FL and they had a great big to-do and special opening night with red carpet and everything last week with the première in our historic Tampa Theater!

    (I stayed away from it all due to expected large crowds.)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you showed enough interest to request it, I'll try copying the URLs next time.

      Delete