Monday, July 25, 2016

Sunday, July 24th, 2016



I forgot to mention the Colombian Peso closed for the week at 2,949 to the Dollar.  That’s still pretty high.

I left the apt about 1pm to play chess in the park.  One of the young men I noticed was wearing an Apple iWatch – some people here have money.  I won one game against one man and another game against a 2nd man.   During the 2nd game against the 2nd man it started raining.  He used his cell phone to take a photo of the position and then he and another man I knew from the simultaneous led me a block south of the park to the billiard parlor.  We set up the position on a chess table in the back.

After playing for over an hour he thought he could win with just his rook against my knight.  I kept offering him a draw and finally an hour later he made a mistake and I forked his king and rook and with only king vs king it was definitely a draw.  (I learned later that the chances of a draw are 71% - the king and rook can win if they can drive the knight away from the king.)  It was still raining as I walked back to the apt.

I finished Nelson DeMille’s By the Rivers of Babylon and downloaded Patricia Cornwell’s The Body Farm.

Teresa doesn’t like all the fat that comes with pizza but I told her I still want to order it once a month.  We tried ordering from Pizza Americana but they don’t deliver to Envigado.  I think their nearest location is in Itagui.  So we ordered from Jeno’s which has a location on Avenida Poblado in Envigado.  It arrived on time in an hour and it cost 30,000 pesos for the pizza, 5,000 for the bottle of soda, 3,000 for tax, and 3,000 for the delivery for a total of 41mil.

I received an email from Julian, the new lawyer I met on the bus last week.  I suggested we exchange phone numbers and meet Tuesday afternoon for coffee, talk and a game of chess.

We watched The Perfect Host (6.8) on Netflix; a very interesting movie with lots of plot twists.

T-shirt of the day: Week end.

No comments:

Post a Comment