Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Monday, August 8th, 2016



I woke up about 6:20 then fell back asleep finally getting up at 8:35.  After my shower I watched some Olympic highlights on the Today show.

I left about 10:30 for the health club.  There seemed to be less people there today and I quickly got a turn on the two most popular apparatus – the leg extension and chest exerciser.  I continued with 19 minutes on the treadmill but forgot to do a weigh-in.  I left about 10 minutes earlier than usual because Teresa wanted to make lunch in time for her friend Martha who is supposed to pick us up at 1pm.

She arrived at 1:20 in her large Mitsubishi SUV.  She drove to the doctor’s office a few blocks from Floresta Station.  I almost felt seasick on the way because she braked so much.  I thought she had her left foot on the brake while her right was on the accelerator but I looked and it wasn’t.  I think she just moved her foot on and off the accelerator so much.  She’s the most defensive driver I’ve seen in quite a while.  

Teresa got some type of facial that took about 90 minutes.  In the meantime I watched some Olympics.  I forgot to mention – the other day when I came back from the chess club I turned on the Olympics on Direct TV and Colombia was broadcasting some sport that was a combination of basketball with dribbling but they threw a small ball into a soccer goal.  I don’t even know the name of that sport.  I turned on my Slingbox and watched some swimming and beach volleyball.  Another time Direct TV was broadcasting sailing – watching paint dry sounds more exciting.  I switched to NBC and watched some women’s gymnastics.

Martha drove us to MBE.  I ran inside while she looked for a place to park.  I received an envelope from one of my pensions and another Fed-Ex Express Envelope.  The pension letter was just an annual notice regarding tax-withholding.  The Fed-Ex envelope wasn’t even addressed to me so both were basically garbage.  I asked about my book and the lady believes it will arrive this weekend.  I asked about paying my bill for August and September and after some back and forth it appears the 2nd bill I paid in April was for a package I received that was over the free weight limit.  I ended up paying 88,800 for July’s bill.  I don’t know why it’s so high.  I thought the charge was $16 a month which would translate to about 48,000 pesos.  Anyway I was in a hurry so I just paid it and left.

At El Tesoro we luckily found a parking place right away.  We arrived at the dentist 20 minutes late.  After Teresa had her stitches removed Martha had a free examination.

We went to J&C Delicias where the ladies had surf & turf arepas and I had a Caesar salad.  Of course I had chosen the table right in front of the TV so I could watch more Olympics.  A young Colombian man won a gold medal in weight lifting.  The caption on the screen said that this was Colombia’s 3rd gold medal.  Then they changed it to their 2nd gold medal.  Then they changed it again to their 1st.  Every few minutes it changed again.  I don’t know if they are talking about this Olympics or all of them.  I picked up the check of 92,300 (about $31).

Martha drove us back to Envigado.  On the way at one point we were going downhill and there were no other cars in front of us and Martha purposely slowed down which just about drove me crazy.

At the apt Teresa informed me that her cousin died today, and she wanted to call her aunt and since we were out of minutes she sent me to add more.  I’m glad she asked me right away instead of waiting for me to change clothes.  When I got to the corner I had just missed a green pedestrian light to cross the street.  While waiting I saw 4 soldiers on my side of the street with their semi-automatic weapons not slung over their shoulders but at the ready but pointed down.  They were drifting in my direction.  Before the light changed one of them was standing right next to me.  I asked him if there was a problem but of course I didn’t understand the answer.  I asked him if they were just practicing and he replied yes.  I got the green light and after I crossed the street I saw 2 other soldiers frisking a man.  One held his rifle ready and the other held the man’s hands behind his head with his one hand and frisked him with the other.  I’m not sure if that was just practicing or not.

I added 50mil to our cell phone and when I returned (5 minutes later) they were all gone.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
T-shirt of the day: Got milk?

No comments:

Post a Comment