Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016



At the health club I weighed in at 77kilos.  I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes at speed 5.  Monday I’ll go back down to 15 minutes but increase the speed to 6.  As of now I believe I’m getting more out of breath (cardio) from the weight machines than from the treadmill.

After lunch I took a bus to the metro, got a seat, and got off at the Hospital station.  It was a 40 minute trip total to Dario’s store.

I played the black pieces first and won easily in the endgame.  With the white pieces I played my usual opening and early it looked like he was going to mate me but I deflected his attacking pieces by attacking his king.  We went into an endgame with seconds left on our clocks.  I claimed the win when his flag fell but I noted afterwards that my flag couldn’t fall – equipment failure – so it was probably a draw.

My clock is about 40 years old so it probably could use a good cleaning.  I’ll see if Laura can help me find someplace to take it for repair.
On the walk back to the metro I noticed a building – Banco de Sangre – which I assume is a blood bank.  I saw another building called Policlinica which I assume is “police clinic” whatever that is.  Today I saw a van had just pulled up outside, 3 police officers opened the back door and helped out a man with his hands handcuffed behind him.

I got another seat on the metro and on the bus back to Parque Envigado.
I stopped at the corner store and bought a 1.5 liter of Coke.

I received an email from Trip Advisor that they posted my review of Parmessano Restaurante.

A woman in the building stopped by and gave me 120mil to pay for the garage space use for July & August.

Today’s Medellin Living reported that Medellin’s taxi fares have increased effective August 10th.  The taximeter starts at 3,000 up from 2,700; the minimum fare is 5,000 pesos up from 4,600; fares have also gone up slightly for time & distance; and the trip from the Rionegro airport using the white taxis has gone up from 60,000 to 65,000 pesos.  A white taxi from Medellin to Rionegro is only 55,000 pesos.  The trip to and from Envigado is slightly higher.  Today maybe I figured out how to post articles from Medellin Living.

I watched more Olympic coverage in the evening.

T-shirt of the day: Money over everything.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't beileve 'Policlinica' i has anything to do with the Policia, Terry.

    I Googled it using the phrase 'Qué es Policlinica, Medellín' for key words and found an article about someone taking a neighbor (or friend, possibly) to one and it sounded for all the world like an emergency room of some sort.

    The article mentioned 'urgencias' (emergencies) and called it a policlinica, advising that is a place where a number of different types of traumas could be treated.

    Maybe someone else who reads your blog will comment and explain to us more clearly what it is.

    Regards,

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  3. Policlínica is a sort of local walk in clinic, out patient clinic. They deal with small helth issues, family practitioners, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NoMeInteresa, thanx... A walk-in clinic makes perfict sense. Not sure why I didn't leap to that conclusion.

    Maybe cuz it didn't seem to me very likely that there would be such things as walk-in clinics in Colombia since they have socialized medicine where I thought everyone could go anyway.

    PM
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason I question that it is a medical clinic is it doesn't seem like a place to take a prisoner. And there is a clinic right next door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, I beleive that NMI has got it right. Afterwards I looked in mmy dictionary and the word is there, too. It's basically an out-patient treatment center/clinic. (See definition in spanish below.)

    It is a comination of the roots 'poly-' and 'clinic' and that prefix is from the Greek meaning 'many', as in 'polychromatic' [many colored], or 'polygamy' [many wives]; likewise: polyester, polymer, polysyllabic, and so on....

    And here is how the DRAE* defines the word 'policlínica':
    2. f. Establecimiento sanitario que atiende a pacientes de diversas patologías en régimen ambulatorio.

    So it sounds to me like what you saw was the police taking some arrested 'hampón' in to see to his wounds.

    * Diccionario de la Real Academia Española.

    OK – HTH

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete