Friday, February 9, 2018

Thursday, February 8, 2018


Last night I fell asleep quickly and didn’t awaken until 4am.  It took me a little while to fall back asleep and I finally woke/got up at 7:30.

Teresa, Laura and I had a talk.  Laura’s goal is to return to the au pair office for an interview in March so she wants to start her driving lessons.  She knows of a place in Envigado where it costs 940,000 pesos.  She has that much saved up from previous finca rentals so I gave her the go-ahead.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show, left the apt in shorts and t-shirt, listening to my iPod on the bus and metro.  At the Stadium station I rented a bike and rode it over to the airport.  I noted that the last bike station, Maria Luisa Calle, is only one block from Pricesmart.  I stopped at Las Cosechas (sp?) on the way for a juice.  That also allowed me to reset the clock on my one hour time limit for renting a bicycle.  I finally dropped off the bike at Calle 44, walked about 4 blocks south to Circular 4 (Mondongo’s is on the corner) and walked half a block west to Salud Pan.  There was a line either to buy things or get a table.  I did see their 12 grain bread I want to try.  I continued on to La Pampa Burger & Grill (Carrera 73 Circular 4-13) where I ordered their Classic Burger.  It was very good and cooked perfectly.  (This restaurant was recommended to me by the owners of El Viejo y El Pancake.)  Along with the rustic fries and a Coke the total bill came to 28,050 ($9.5).  (At one point during lunch I bit the side of my tongue so that slowed me down a bit.)  The waitress confirmed that the park I could barely see was Laureles Park #1. 

I walked along the park and saw the Sura insurance building that Reina brought me to 5 years before.  I stopped at Saludpan and bought the loaf of bread (no line) for 11mil.  Walking across Calle 44 I saw a young couple approaching me.  The girl had a guitar case on her back with a cat lying between her head and the case - and a small dog following her. 

Waiting to cross the street to the Stadium Station an old man showed me a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses he was selling.  I just pointed to the Ray Ban logo on the sunglasses I was wearing.

Back at Parque Envigado I stopped at Bartolos for a coconut lemonade.  While sitting there alone a middle aged woman stopped at my table and set down her water bottle with a “permisso” which means she’s asking permission.  She pulled up her t-shirt a little bit and then grabbed her jeans and pulled them up.  Lol.

Yesterday I learned from Jose that the presidential election will be March 11th with the winner taking office in August.

Laura informed me that she starts her driving lessons next Monday night.

In the evening I could see that my shoulders were a little red, even though I put SPF 50 on them before my ride.

I continued a Rosetta Stone lesson that I started July 18th of last year and soon got “We’re unable to communicate with the server right now.  Please try again later.”  Drat!

T-shirt of the day: Never give up.  Good things take time.



3 comments:

  1. Terry,
    I am from the Philippines and i am actually planning to move to Colombia around May 2018 to teach english and i was just browsing some information about Colombia, the cities, what's life like in Colombia or if the culture is any way different compared to the Philippines.

    I came across your blog and surprisingly, i come back to read about it almost every week. I am a psychometrician and during my breaks at work, i sometimes read your very detailed day-to-day adventures in Medellin. It sounds like it's a lovely city to be in.


    What i like about your blog is that It feels like i'm actually there because of how detailed you write about it. It's almost as if i'm reading a different version of my favorite book, The Perks of Being a Wallflowet by Stephen Chbosky. It was also author-centered. It may sound weird but I have actually read your blog post from the very beginning until now. And it's very interesting. You keep mentioning about the prices and the places you go to, it actually helps me gauge and set my expectations haha. I am planning to actually move to Bogota but would want to visit Medellin as well. Looking forward to see the city and walk around the places you've mentioned!


    Just me,
    Debbie
    27 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie,
    Thank you so much for writing. I have to compliment you on your English. I'm sure you will find cultural differences coming from the Philippines but don't let that stop you from making the move. What Visa type would you use to live in Colombia? I hope you have a job already set up before you arrive as that could be very difficult to get while here. Unless you like crowds and particularly cooler weather I think you would like Medellin better than Bogota. Good luck! Terry PS. Give me your email address and I'll send you my tips for first time visitors to Colombia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lukewarmtragedies@gmail.com :) would love to know your tips!

      Delete