Saturday, March 21, 2020

Friday, March 20, 2020




Last night I went to bed at 10:30, woke up at 4am and couldn’t fall back asleep until about 5:30, finally waking/getting up at 8am.


I watched the 2 hours of the Today show.


I received the following information from an email from the US embassy:


The President of Colombia announced today that all international air arrivals will be suspended for a period of 30 days and is suspending other transit passengers at all airports starting at 12 a.m. on Monday, March 23.

The Mayor of Bogota announced a drill starting Friday, March 20, through Monday, March 23, when all people announced a four-day lockdown “simulation” that require residents to shelter in place or else face possible fines or jail time.  Many other cities have established various curfews, including Cartagena which is barring tourists from leaving their hotels or guesthouses except to go to the airport.  If you are in Colombia, please work with your hotel or accommodation hosts and monitor local news sites for regulations in your location. Additionally, people over the age of 70 are expected to self-quarantine through May. 


All national land, maritime, and riverine borders are now closed to citizens and non-citizens.  Citizens and residents may still enter the country via airports as long as airlines continue to operate. 


Today is a very overcast day with a little light rain.


Well, I guess there’s no reason to report on new movie releases.


I just read “it took three months to reach 100,000 corona virus cases worldwide.  The second 100,000 only took 12 days.”


What happened to Trump’s declaration “We have it totally under control.  It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control.  It’s going to be just fine.”?


From Medellin Guru:

Governor Aníbal Gaviria Correa of Antioquia and the mayor of Medellín Daniel Quintero confirmed on March 19 during a televised address the decree of a quarantine in the jurisdiction of Antioqua including Medellín between 7:00 pm on Friday, March 20 until 3:00 am on Tuesday March 24.

During this quarantine, the movement of people and vehicles is prohibited, in order to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus. People are ordered to stay home under quarantine for four days.”


As of noon today, Colombia has 145 confirmed corona virus cases.


At 3pm its only about 78 degrees.


On the news I heard that Colombia has 17 new cases today; It’s interesting that the majority of cases are in the 20-40 age group.


I received an email from Victoria at Envios Market that I have a package and she could send it by courier.  I said yes, please.


About 45 minutes later we got a call that the porter has my package.  When I opened the apt door I found a flyer stuck in the jamb.  I went downstairs and retrieved the package.


Ten years ago during the H1N1 scare I bought 2 boxes of N95 respirator/face masks.  Two weeks ago I asked my ex to send me one of the boxes, which just arrived.  We don’t need all of them so I sent an email to my GP Luz Naranjo asking if there is any great need for them in Medellin.  Better to give most of them to doctors or nurses to use than hog all of them.


I translated the flyer using Google Translate:

1.    Organic waste must not be thrown into the garbage can, it must be lowered and deposited in the barrels destined for it, located in the chutes of each tower; for this of these will remain open.  This measure seeks to avoid plugging of the chutes, which can cause conflagrations due to gas accumulation; Also,
remember that for no reason should you throw lit cigarette butts and lighted
matches or any item that could cause a fire.

2.    Recycling must remain in each apartment until Monday 23 at 9pm.

3.    It is recommended, if possible, to stay in the apartments and not go out to the common areas.

4.    If during the quarantine you see the dirty entrance of your apartment, I request your collaboration to clean it.

Since this emergency situation is only in its infancy, the following measures are taken while the emergency lasts:

A.   Trasteos: The schedule of trasteos is from 8am to 2pm, because once it is finished, the personnel of various trades must wash and disinfect the places where it was carried out.  (The best translation for ‘trasteos’ I could find is ‘mess’, maybe they mean ‘waste’.)  Moving personnel must wear unused mouth masks and latex gloves and their clothing must be clean.

B.   There will be a census of people over 65 years old; For this,
it is requested to go through the goal and give us the relevant information
since we need to have the people at greatest risk located.
  (The best word I can come up with for ‘goal’ is they mean ‘guardhouse’.)

C.   The soccer field will be closed, since physical contacts put us at risk.  (The ‘soccer field’ is actually a repurposed basketball court.)

I ask for your understanding and help with the decisions made so that, united, we can be successful.


At 7:20 pm lots of people were out on their balconies clapping.  I think its because they don’t have to work for the next 3 days.

It happened again at 8pm.


I texted Juan asking about the applause and he replied that everyone was asked to applaud the doctors and nurses who are fighting the Covid-19.


Well, I’ve been taking that marigold extract for what, a couple days now, and so far no relief.  Before, with the Dolaled, there was improvement by the next day.


1,336 steps today.


Joke of the day

A husband and wife were sitting quietly in the park when the wife looked over at her husband and asked the following question…

“What would you do if I died?  Would you get married again?”

“Definitely not!” says the husband.

“Why not?  Don’t you like being married?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then why wouldn’t you remarry?”

“Okay, okay, I’d get married again.”

“You would?” (with a hurt look)

(Husband makes an audible groan.)

“Would you live in our house?”

“Sure, it’s a great house.”

“Would you sleep with her in our bed?”

“Where else would we sleep?”

“Would you let her drive my car?”

“Probably, it’s almost new.”

“Would you replace my pictures with hers?”

“That would seem like the proper thing to do.”

“Would you give her my jewelry?”

“No, I’m sure she’d want her own.”

“Would you take her golfing with you?”

“Yes, those are always good times.”

“Would she use my clubs?”

“No!” says the husband.  “She’s left-handed.”

Long silence…

“Damn.”

2 comments:

  1. Terry, when mom started taking the Marigold extract I think it was a little over two weeks before she noticed relief. Hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally glad to here you report on about her progress. I've already noticed some improvement the last 2 mornings.

    ReplyDelete