Thursday, March 12, 2020

Wednesday, March 11, 2020


Last night I went to bed at 10:30 and didn’t wake/get up until 7:30. Sweet!


Uh-oh, I forgot to recharge my cellphone last night.


I found a teasing comment on my blog from Friday “do you know the real meaning of your name”?  I replied, “nope, don’t know and don’t care”.


Teresa got a call that we didn’t pay her cell phone bill for this month.  I forgot but I’ll take care of that this afternoon.


Per the news, Colombia has 6 more cases of the Corona Virus for a total of 9.


I watched the first 35 minutes of the Today show where I learned that the state of New York has declared a state of emergency and “quarantined” the town of New Rochelle.


I understand Teresa has to take MT to doctor’s appointments today and again tomorrow.


At 9:40 I left for the gym and at the guardhouse the portero informed me I have some mail.  I said I would pick it up on the way back.  At the gym I completed all my exercises in an hour – amazing how much faster it goes without a cell phone.


Back at the guardhouse the doorman gave me our Une and epm bills.  Good, now I can pay them today along with the cell phone.


After my shower my lower back felt stiffer than usual.  I had dropped the soap and maybe when I picked it up I bent instead of stooped.  Don’t remember, anyway the pain I have location is different than usual with my osteoarthritis.  I took half an Excedrin Migraine so I hope that kicks in soon.


Just before noon a young man with a tank and sprayer arrived at my door and I understood he wanted to fumigate the apt.  I asked about the storage space in the garage as I think that might cost extra.  Anyway, he said he would come back Saturday at 10am when hopefully Teresa will be here.


I left the apt just after noon and walked to the mall where I paid the Une and epm bills in Exito.  I walked upstairs to the Claro office where I paid our cell phone bills.  I had chicken teriyaki and a limonada de coco for 25mil in Sarku.  Juan texted me that he believed he could meet me at Parva for our lesson by 2:30. I told him I should be able to make that time also.


I left the mall at 2pm and walked up to Parva arriving at 2:20.  Juan arrived 5 minutes later.  During the lesson I questioned why we have to cover formal Spanish, I would rather concentrate on informal Spanish and I’ll figure out the rest later.  I also suggested we spend more time in the future with conversations in Spanish with less emphasis on reading.  I learned a lot today about how pico y placa works here.  I undertand the month of March is the worst month here for air pollution.


When Juan left I solved a few chess puzzles before returning to the apt.


We had some showers in the evening.


I found Safe Haven, the movie, on Netflix and Teresa and I started watching it.


10,047 steps today.


Joke of the day

A newlywed farmer and his wife were visited by her mother, who immediately demanded an inspection of their home. The farmer had genuinely tried to be friendly to his new mother-in-law, hoping that it could be a friendly, non-antagonistic relationship.

To no avail, she kept nagging them at every opportunity, demanding changes, offering unwanted advice and making life unbearable for the farmer and his new bride. While they were walking through the barn, the farmer's mule suddenly reared up and kicked the mother-in-law in the head, killing her instantly.

At the funeral service a few days later, the farmer stood near the casket and greeted folks as they walked by. The pastor noticed that whenever a woman would whisper something to the farmer, he would nod his head and say something. Whenever a man walked by and whispered to the farmer, however, he would shake his head and mumble a reply.

Very curious as to this bizarre behavior, the pastor later asked the farmer what that was all about. The farmer replied, "the women would say, 'what a terrible tragedy' and I would nod my head and say, 'yes, it was.' The men would ask, 'can I borrow that mule?' and I would shake my head and say: 

'Sorry, I can't do it...It's booked up for a year...'

1 comment: