Monday, March 30, 2020

Sunday, March 29, 2020




My 13th day of self-isolation.


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once at 5:30, fell back asleep finally waking/getting up at 7:30.


Just so you don’t miss this addition to my Trump Coronavirus post, according to a press release from the State Department, the US gave 17.8 tons of supplies including ventilators and masks to China.  See my next post for more details.


I watched another episode of Dirty Money.  This episode was about a drug company named Valeant and how they acquire other drug companies and then create profit by jacking up their prices.


About 3:20 it started raining and the temperature dropped quickly to 76 degrees and it soon became a downpour but it only lasted about 30 minutes.


Per the evening news there are 702 coronavirus cases in Colombia, 86 in Antioquia, with 10 deaths.  Here is the case breakdown by age:

Minors under 20: 31

20-40 years of age: 306

40-60 years of age: 244

Older than 60: 121.


Joke of the day

James is walking on a downtown street one day, and he happens to see his old high school friend, Harry, a little way up ahead.

"Harry, Harry, how are you?" he greets his old buddy after getting his attention.

"Not so good," says Harry.

"Why, what happened?" James queries.

"Well," Harry says, "I just went bankrupt and I've still got to feed my family. I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Could have been worse," James replies calmly. "Could have been worse."

A month or so later, James again encounters Harry, in a restaurant. "And how are things now?" he asks.

"Terrible!" says Harry. "Our house burned down last night."

"Could have been worse," says James, again with total aplomb, and goes about his business.

A month later, James runs into Harry a third time. "Well, how goes it?" he inquires.

"Oh!" says Harry. "Things just get worse and worse. It's one tragedy after another! Now my wife has left me!"

Harry nods his head and gives his usual optimistic-seeming little smile, accompanied by his usual words: "Could've been worse."

This time, Harry grabs James by the shoulders.

"Wait a minute!" he says. "I'm not gonna let you off so easy this time. Three times in the past few months we've run into one another, and every time I've told you the latest disaster in my life. Every time you say the same thing: 'Could have been worse.' This time, for God's sake, Harry, I want you to tell me: how in Heaven's name could it have been any worse?"

James smiles at him: "Could have happened to me."

4 comments:

  1. Terry, this is unrelated to your post. I thought you might find this article of interest.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/30/great-conundrum-pablo-escobars-hippos/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, this is the type of information I expected from your blog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU "You Need To Listen To This Leading COVID-19 Expert From South Korea"
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. También he estado estudiando español desde que nos conocimos en agosto de 2019. Desarrollé un interés y respeto por la cultura, la sociedad, la política y la economía de Colombia. Pero tengo poco interés en el ajedrez, si lo hiciera te desafiaría a través de Skype o WhatsApp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was July 29th but who's counting? LOL.

      Delete