Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Monday, October 19, 2020

 Last night I took half a Zopiclona and went to bed at 10:30, got up at 1:15 and took the other half, finally waking/getting up at 7:30.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 2 and losing 2. My rating is now 1514.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then left for my walk. I met Marcos outside his apartment complex. We walked a few of my usual back streets then he explained he needed to go to Parque Envigado to buy a lighter. I noticed they finished paving the courtyard outside Exito and Bancolombia and added a large planter. After that, we walked back and I bought us coffee at Parva. He left to buy a few groceries at Justo y Bueno and I returned to my apt.

At 1pm it’s only 70 degrees with a chance of rain likely.

I’m still trying to log into the US Chess Federation with their new interface. I’ve been trading emails with several people from there but so far no success. I would like to be able to access my Chess Life magazines online.

I went to the mall and had coffee in a different café named Santa Eleña. For grins I stopped at the nearby health store and asked about Calendula flower extract and darned if they didn’t have it. I’ve got enough supply for months but it’s nice to know I might not have to order it from the US again. I picked up some milk and took a taxi back to the apt.

I finally managed to log into USCF with a new Userid & password and can now access their Chess Life magazines digitally.

I watched Dave (6.8) on Medellin TV, not for the first time.

I watched some Monday Night Football. I first tried watching it on Medellin TV but all I got was a lot of buffering so I switched to Direct TV. Rob says he informed IT about the problem.

 

The US has 8,122,865 ð 8,188,764 ð 8,252,426 coronavirus cases with 218,900+ ð 219,500+ ð 220,000+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 952,371 ð 959,572 ð 965,883 cases with 29,102 deaths. Medellin has 81,921 ð 83,145 ð 84,088 cases, an increase of 934 from October 18th to 19th. Envigado has a total of 5,668 cases, an increase of 91 from October 18th to 19th. It appears new infections are decreasing again.

 

Joke of the day

As a boat docked into a tiny seaside village, a visiting businessman complimented the local fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the fisherman.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the businessman. The fisherman explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.
The businessman asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The businessman interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard, and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the fisherman.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to the city, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the fisherman.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the businessman.
"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the businessman, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the fisherman.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings doing what you like and enjoying your friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment