Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Monday, October 26, 2020

Last night I took a Zopiclona and went to bed at 10:30pm, got up once at 5am, couldn’t fall back asleep due to a mild headache, got up at 5:30 and took an Advil, fell asleep quickly finally waking/getting up at 8am.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then met Marcos outside his apt. He needed to go to the bank so we headed straight for the park. We walked past Aymará and, with sidewalk repairs continuing outside, it’s now open. Downtown Envigado, Marcos got into a line to enter Bancolombia and I went in search of the Une/Tivo store. I had their address but I found it right where I thought it was. There was a short line outside but now I know exactly where it is. Across the street I looked inside the Mercado de Tranvia and it looked completely gutted. Sad! On the way back I walked down Transversal 33A for the first time before returning to the apt.

Teresa left just before 11 for an 11:30 doctor’s appointment.

On NFL Game Pass I watched the end of last night’s game won by Arizona over Seattle in overtime.

I started watching Totally Under Control on Medellin TV but again it froze after a few minutes.

I left the apt at 1pm and walked to Papa John’s. I underwent the usual rigamarole to enter – temperature, hand sanitizer, and wiping of feet on a special mat. They had their menu online accessible by one of those QR codes which my cellphone occasionally has trouble accessing. I was undecided as whether to just get the cheese pizza or go for an Italian. I unquired about a Margarita and he confirmed it was cheese only so I ordered it. I also ordered a small Coke which came in a bottle in a plastic bag – I don’t think restaurants use dispensers anymore. When my order was ready he didn’t bring it to my table, he just set it aside and pointed to it. It turned out to have Italian sausage on it that was surprisingly good.

From there I walked to Parva where I had a café con leche and I bought a pastel de guayaba to go for Teresa. She called me at 2:30 and I understood, incorrectly, that she was on her way to join me. At 3pm I called her and learned she was on her way back to the apt and I said I would meet here there. I walked back to the apt.

I’ve heard that the occupancy of Antioquia’s ICU beds is over 80%.

 

Last week Marcellis Stinnette, a Black 19-year-old, was shot and killed by police in the Chicago suburb of Waukegan, Illinois. Police said they were investigating a suspicious vehicle which then fled the area. A second officer soon spotted the car nearby. Authorities said as he approached it, the car began to reverse toward him and the officer fired into it. Stinnette, who was in the passenger seat, was killed. His girlfriend Tafara Williams, who was driving, is now in the hospital recovering from injuries. On Friday, the Waukegan Police Dept announced the officer involved was fired for "multiple policy and procedure violations." Illinois State Police are investigating the shooting with help from the FBI.

"Why did you shoot?": Speaking from her hospital bed, Williams pleaded for answers. Meanwhile, protests in Waukegan broke out last week and over the weekend, calling for justice in Stinnette's death.

 

The head of an advisory council on federal pay resigned from his post Monday in protest over President Donald Trump's recent executive order stripping civil service protections from key federal workers.

"I have concluded that as a matter of conscience, I can no longer serve him or his Administration," Federal Salary Council Chair Ron Sanders, a Trump appointee, wrote in his resignation letter to the director of the Personnel Executive Office of the President, the text of which was obtained by POLITICO.

"[I]t is clear that its stated purpose notwithstanding, the Executive Order is nothing more than a smokescreen for what is clearly an attempt to require the political loyalty of those who advise the President, or failing that, to enable their removal with little if any due process," he wrote.

 

Donald Trump thanked the New York Post after it became the largest newspaper to issue an endorsement for his reelection campaign Monday morning. The tweet from the president came just two hours after one of his trademark posts railing against the 'fake news' for the bias against him

'The Fake News Media is riding COVID, COVID, COVID, all the way to the Election. Losers!' Trump tweeted. President Trump has suggested that the media is working to paint his COVID-19 response poorly and get Democratic nominee Joe Biden elected in November. More than 100 newspapers and media outlets have endorsed Biden over the only handful who have endorsed Trump.

 

 

President Donald Trump on Monday argued against counting all of the votes cast in the 2020 presidential election.

While traveling from a campaign rally in Pennsylvania to the swearing-in of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Trump suggested that voting should end on election day and the incomplete results should be accepted.

 

"We're not going to control the pandemic." There you have it from President Trump's chief of staff, announcement of failure, incompetence and cold indifference. You're on your own, America. Try not to die.

 

The US has 8,580,948 ð 8,700,184 ð 8,739,490 coronavirus cases with 224,400+ ð 225,100+ ð 225,300+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 1,007,711 ð 1,015,885 ð 1,025,052 cases with 30,348 deaths. Medellin has 88,401 ð 90,193 ð 91,145 cases, an increase of 954 from October 25th to 26th. Envigado has a total of 6,446 cases, an increase of 113 from October 25th to 26th. New infections continue to increase.

 

Joke of the day

I wanted to marry my English teacher when she got out of jail, but apparently you don’t end a sentence with a proposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment