Saturday, February 9, 2019

Friday, February 8, 2019


I slept pretty well despite getting up twice during the night.

My lower back seems to be almost back to normal this morning.  
When I return to the gym I’ll be more careful with the situp and back machines.

Teresa made blueberry pancakes for breakfast and for Jim with bananas and strawberries on top.

Among new US movie releases I would like to see Cold Pursuit (6.9).  Locally, I would like to see A Dog’s Way Home (6.4), Second Act (6.0), Escape Room (6.4), and Papillon (7.1).

Locally, A Star is Born has returned and Bohemian Rhapsody is still here.

We all left the apt about 11:45 and took a taxi to Mayorista.  Jim explored the neighborhood while I helped Teresa with some things on our list.  I then went outside and had a café con leche for 3,100 pesos from Euro’s café.

Jim came back and reported that the store on the corner sells individual plastic “shells” that I could use to package cookies.

Teresa picked out mainly fruits and vegetables (no meat) and we were back at the apt by 1:30.

Jim and I left the apt at 3:30 and took a bus to Parque Envigado.  Unfortunately it started raining lightly while we were on the bus.  
We finally made it to the park and we grabbed a table outside Il Vizzto and ordered coffee.  After we finished and the rain had lessened I made a quick trip to Cotrafa where I paid the finca utility bill.  We walked to Mercado del Tranvia where we found a food court with 26 different restaurants.  One of them served gyros and baklava.  We checked out the place and then had a drink.  We walked down to the mall where I dropped off my Teva sandal for repair.  She said it could be ready in 20 minutes but I told her tomorrow is soon enough.  She said it would cost 12mil ($4) for the repair.  We took a taxi back to the apt and invited Teresa to go with us for a surprise dinner.  She was surprised and loved the food court.  Jim had pizza, I had a gyro and Teresa had a Ceba (sp?).

We took a taxi back to the apt.

Joke of the day
This story takes place in 1860. Back 150+ years ago, presidential candidates didn't have nearly the luxuries current candidates do. The didn't stay in five star hotels or travel by private jet - they stayed with normal families on their campaigns and in exchange for a place to stay, would do chores around the property before they headed to a new city.
In 1860 Abraham Lincoln actually stayed with my great great great grandma. She was a pretty bossy lady and gave Lincoln a long list of chores to do as soon as she met him.
Finally when he thought he was done, my grandma said, "Last chores, Abraham. For dinner we're having stew, corn on the cob, and apple pie. I'll work on the stew, but you're going to be on the front porch shucking corn and peeling apples until there's nothing left in front of you."
And with that she led him outside where there were two huge baskets filled to the brim with apples and corn.
Abraham started peeling and shucking. Periodically my grandma would check on him to see how much he had left to get an idea of when they'd eat. Little known fact about Abraham Lincoln, but he is very bad at shucking corn and peeling apples.
After checking on him for what felt like the tenth time, my grandma was real frustrated. She said, "Abraham, how can you be expected to lead a country if you can't even help with dinner!?"
And Abraham Lincoln replied, "Relax Mrs. Lee, I only have four cores and seven ears to go."

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Today's joke was sooo awful that I refuse to admit I'd never heard it before.

    Oof!
    ==

    ReplyDelete