Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Monday, February 4, 2019


I got up once during the night, again about 6am, finally waking/getting up about 7am.

We were out of eggs so I made a quick trip next door to Exito for a dozen eggs.

When Jim got up he wanted to try the bakery so we left the apt about 8:15.  We soon found Eduardo Madrid Panaderia at Calle 31 only 2 blocks from our apt.  It is a large bakery with lots of pies, cakes, breads, for sale. 

I had a fresh bagel with butter and blackberry preserves and a capuccino.

We were back at the apt by 9:30.

I watched the first 90 minutes of the Today show.

Teresa left at noon for her 1pm doctor’s appointment.

Jim and I left about 1pm and we walked to the mall.  We walked outside and took the pedestrian overpass to Herman’s orange juice stand.  He wasn’t there and his niece informed us that he wouldn’t be back until 3:30.  We took the metro to Ayura station and walked to the Mayorista entrance then across the street and 2 blocks down we arrived at the seafood restaurant El Barco.  I thought I saw Jeff, the founder of Medellin Guru, come down the stairs with a camera and leave.  We were the only ones there.  The owner greeted us in English and he said he would have one of his waitresses order a menu of the day for me from one of the nearby restaurants.  Soon a gringo showed up alone and took a table next to us.  I was wearing my Chicago White Sox t-shirt and he asked me if I was a White Sox fan.  I said I was more of a Chicago Bears fan.  His name was Phil and he’s from St. Charles, Illinois which is not far from where we were both born.  I couldn’t hear him very well but apparently Jim enjoyed comparing notes with him.  Unfortunately for him he returns to the States tomorrow.  When my lunch arrived it consisted of a minature salad, French fries and beef (which, as usual, was too tough to chew).

We took a taxi to Olaya Herrera airport where Jim switched his flight time from returning on Wednesday to returning tomorrow afternoon.  He’s going on a tour of a cheese farm and factory in Monteria in about 95 degree heat.  At a Dunkin Donuts stand I got excited because they had apple fritters.  I hadn’t had one in 6 years so I bought one.  The girl said it’s a new item.

We walked a block away to Terminal Sur where Jim wanted to sit in a bar where we could watch airplanes take off and land.  I stopped at another DD stand but they didn’t have apple fritters; in fact they didn’t have much of anything.  We went upstairs to Almagrata Bar where we found it is closed Mondays.  I bought a small coffee and ate my fritter while we watched planes and helicopters come and go.

We took a taxi to the mall where I made an ATM withdrawal then we had a drink at Sinko Bar in front of the windows.  On this side of the highway some grading is being done and I saw a few trees balled and ready to be moved.

We paid the bill and took a taxi back to the apt.  (Remember my brother is still recuperating from knee surgery.)

Instead of going out tonight we ordered chicken wings from Go Wings.  The total came to 63,900 pesos and I gave the delivery guy 70mil and told him to keep the change.  Unknown to me instead of the wings being bathed in sauce Teresa ordered them with sauce on the side.  I like them better the other way.

I checked the location of GO Wings and it’s about 3 blocks east of MerkePaisa so they’re pretty close.

Joke of the day
A Policeman was quizzing 3 blondes, who were training to become detectives. To test their skills in recognizing a suspect, he shows the 1st blonde a picture for 5 seconds and then hides it. "This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?"
The first blonde answers "That's easy, we'll catch him fast because he only has one eye".
The policeman says "Well...Uh.. that's because the picture shows his profile".
Slightly flustered by this ridiculous response, he flashes the picture for 5 seconds at the second blonde and asked her "This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?"
The second blonde giggles, flips her hair and says "Ha! He'd be easy to catch because he only has one ear!"
The policeman angrily responds, "What's the matter with you two? Of course only one eye and ear are showing because it's a picture of his profile! Is that the best answer you can come up with?"
Extremely frustrated at this point, he shows the picture to the third blonde and in a very testy voice asks "This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?" He adds quickly "....think hard before giving a stupid answer".
The Blonde looks at the picture intently for a moment and says "HMMMM... the suspect is wearing contact lenses."
The policeman is surprised and speechless, because he really doesn't know himself if the suspect wears contacts or not. "Well, that is a good answer.. wait here for a few minutes while I check his file, and I'll get back to you on that".
He leaves the room and goes to his office, checks the suspect's file in his computer and comes back with a beaming smile on his face.
"WoW! I can't believe it...it's TRUE! The suspect does in fact wear contacts lenses. Good work! How were you able to make such an astute observation?"
"That's easy" the blonde replied. "He can't wear glasses because he only has one eye and one ear!"

2 comments:

  1. BINGO! Well, you did it: Joke # 6 that I had never heard before –and inside of a week, just as you threatened. [ G ]

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete