Monday, February 25, 2019

Sunday, February 24, 2019


I had a bowl of oatmealf or breakfast then left the apt at 9:35 for Ciclovia. Across the street from Otra Parte I saw 3 red squirrels in the trees; they are rare here at least in Medellin.

I arrived at the main Starbucks at 10:35.  I had a cold cafĂ© mocca blanco without the whipped cream which was delicious.  The girl wrote “que chevere eres” on my cup so I’ve got it in writing.  Lol.

On my way back to Envigado I saw a chiropractor giving free adjustments on what looked like a massage table.  I also saw someone walking a pot belly pig.  In Buena Mesa I saw 4 workers standing outside the new restaurant.  I asked when is it going to open and in English a girl said “March 1st”.  I stopped at the local bakery but it was closed along with the parking lot I usually cut through.

Teresa wasn’t home but she called me and told me I’m on my own for lunch because she stopped for lunch in Buena Mesa.  I left the apt at 1:45 and walked to the mall.   After walking around their busy restaurant area I finally settled on Sarku.  I then went to Home Center where I found a small fan for under my desk.  I heard a loud crack of thunder and before I got to the entrance I could hear the hard rain and feel the cold coming in.  Then the lights went out and I noticed stores closing and locking their doors.  Because it is an “open” mall the floors soon got slippery and I noticed a few leaks. 
The light came on a few minutes later.  I was looking for a dry place where I could sit and I finally settled down at Cine Colombia.  Several times the lights went on and off.  I feel sorry for the poor people waiting to see a movie.

At 4:30 the rain seemed to have lessened and I made a run for it.  I used the “gym” elevator which got me a little closer to the apt.  Streets were a little flooded in some areas but with my small umbrella I made it back to the apt without getting too wet.

The rain lessened again about 6:30 and we walked down to the corner where we caught a taxi to MTs apartment.  I noticed a fire truck about 2 blocks away.

I showed Wilson and MT how to make the oatmeal cookies.  We forgot to bring the parchment paper so we didn’t have that.  Wilson wanted to add raisins and I was okay with that but he actually cut up what I think were dates and we added them to the usual mix.  By 7:15 we had put the batter for the first batch on the baking sheet and were preheating the oven…when the lights went out.

At 7:53 the electricity came back on and we continued with our first batch.  Unfortunately we burned it and we figured out that the temperature was too high.  Apparently 375F which is 190C is too high so we moved it down a bit.  I saw a pair of scissors on the kitchen table that I thought I recognized and sure enough they were Chicago Cutlery.  I had the same set of a block with knives and scissors in my place in Chicago.  Batches 2-3 were much better although the last batch suffered a little as you try to use up the last bit of batter and they end up too big and run into each other.  I understand Wilson is going to try to sell them in his restaurant for 3mil each.  I recommended he wrap them individually in plastic wrap to keep them fresher.

Back at the apt I finished reading Robin Cook’s Blindspot.

Today I walked 18,758 steps which I kept count with my Accusplit AE120XLv3-xBX step counter.

Joke of the day
A bank robber wanted to keep his identity a secret, but he forgot to bring his mask. He told everyone in the bank not to look at him or he would shoot them.
One foolhardy customer sneaked a look, and the bank robber did what he said he would... he shot him. The robber asked the crowd if anyone else had seen his face...
One customer, gazing intently at the ground, said "I think my wife got a glimpse."

No comments:

Post a Comment