Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:15, fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, finally awakened at 6am by a semi truck’s hydraulics.

Last full day of the Trump presidency.

Jose texted me he isn’t feeling well so we won’t be meeting for chess today.

Teresa left the apt at 7:30 to get in line at eps and if she finishes early she’s going to the gym.

I left the apt just before 8am and walked to the mall. I printed “How to Clean your Windows Computer” at Auros then had my usual breakfast at Habia Una Vez. I walked around the mall looking for coconut Sascha Isolate and a TV Novelties store but didn’t find either.

I had a café con leche for about 90 minutes in Todo Fresa. I resigned my game against Debartinis (1468) and lost 17 points lowering my rating to 1429. His rating is about the same as mine and so far he’s my strongest opponent so I expect to learn a lot from him.

I left and paid the epm utility bill at Baloto. I found Sascha Isolate at Global Nutrition outside Exito but they only had vanilla, chocolate and peanut butter not the coconut Teresa wanted. I asked the saleslady if she could order coconut but she said “no”.  In Exito I picked up a few things and returned to the apt by taxi. Teresa called me and asked me to meet her for lunch at La Casita Parilla after she leaves the beauty parlor. I asked her to call me and it will depend on how late it is.

Teresa called at 1:15 and I understand she is still getting her nails done so I’m on my own for lunch.

She called me back 15 minutes later and asked me to meet her at La Casita Parilla for lunch. I asked her to give me 20-25 minutes and I would meet her there. I was already dressed in shorts, sleeveless t-shirt and my Teva sandals. (I don’t usually dress so obviously like a gringo but I decided I would rather be comfortable in this warmer weather. I think we almost hit 90 today so I guess the rainy season is officially over.) I arrived 20 minutes later and Teresa was waiting for me. Diego, the owner, was there but his sons no longer work there – one is a lawyer and the other is a dentist. We both had ribs and a juice for a total of 42mil. When Diego asked Teresa how long Laura has been married I realized she got married exactly 6 months ago today.

Teresa left to visit her mother and I went to the used bookstore where I exchanged paperbacks. At the copy center I looked for another notebook like the one I have for writing down my chess games but they didn’t have one. I may have to order one from the US or settle for something similar.

Walking back to La Buena Mesa I had the thought of what I would do if I saw Chuck walking towards me. I decided I would do nothing, say nothing, and just keep walking. As I passed the corner of Aymara I saw him sitting at a table with 2 other gringos. I heard him say “speaking of the devil” but I didn’t react and just kept walking. I had a café con leche at Parva and on my way back to the apt I saw a hook & ladder fire engine blocking the entrance to La Buena Mesa (maybe it was the only large parking spot in the area). I noticed a fireman walking nearby but I didn’t notice any emergency. Shortly after I returned to the apt Teresa called to inform me she was sitting in a small park (a block from the old Deli Hoy location), with her mother.

Uche2000 resigned his game and my rating is now 1444.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi 4 games to 1.

 

The US has 23,877,477 ð 24,091,135 ð 24,249,722 coronavirus cases with 396,500+ ð 398,600+ ð 400,800+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 1,908,413 ð 1,923,132 ð 1,939,071 cases with 48,631 ð 49,004 ð 49,401 deaths. Medellin has 168,895 ð 170,159 ð 172,999 cases, an increase of 1,469 from January to 18th to 19th. Envigado has a total of 15,671 cases, an increase of 84 from January 18th to 19th.

 

Joke of the day

Arriving home around noon one day, a wife was surprised to find her husband in a very drunken state. During the next few minutes, he explained that his employer was going through a process of corporate downsizing, and he had been let go. It was unlikely that, at the age of 59, he'd be able to find another position that paid anywhere near what he'd been earning, and therefore, they were financially ruined.

Calmly, his wife handed him a bank book which showed more than forty years of steady deposits and interest totaling nearly $1 million. Then she showed him certificates of deposits issued by the bank which were worth over $2 million, and informed him that they were one of the largest depositors in the bank. She explained that for more than three decades she had 'charged' him for sex, taken 20 dollars from his wallet and these holdings had multiplied and these were the results of her savings and investments.

Faced with evidence of cash and investments worth over $3 million, her husband was so astounded he could barely speak, but finally he found his voice and blurted out, 'If I'd had any idea what you were doing, I would have given you all my business!'

That's when she shot him.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly your inability to be civil and cordial to former friends/acquaintances shows a lack of proper and polite upbringing.

    ReplyDelete