Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Monday, May 3, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once at 2am with a little upper back pain (too much lying on the recliner?), took a Dolex (acetaminophen), fell back asleep quickly, finally waking/getting up at 6am.

I left the apt at 8am and completed 25-minutes of my usual route (in reverse) before meeting Marcos at his apt at 8:30. On our way to the mall I introduced him to Herman at his OJ stand.  I led him to Smartfit where he had a quick tour of the gym then talked to a girl about their “comeback offer”. She wrote the info on a post-it note and Marcos texted me a photo of it. If he returns today he will have to pay:

1st month (June): 29,900+69,900 = 100,800 (ok, so the math isn’t perfect).

2nd month (July): 69,900.

3rd month (Aug): 69,900+89,900(annual maintenance fee) = 160,000.

4th month (Sept): 69,900 and the same each following month.

I’m guessing the same would apply to me even if I wait until May 18th or so to return. But, in place of our usual walk, if he goes to the Viva Envigado location and I return to the Villa Grande location I’m not sure when our paths would cross again. We were sitting at an outer table having coffee in Habia Una Vez when a young man entered the mall with a brown and white Husky. Huskies, like Labrador retrievers, are very even tempered dogs. They also happen to be the mascot of my university. I looked at him and he looked at me, blue eyes locked on blue eyes and strangely he didn’t look away. Though on a leash he even seemed to wander a bit in m direction. Strange! We finished our coffee and returned to our apartments.

Back at the apt I couldn’t find the LG remote control I use to select Netflix or switch to Medellin TV. I looked all over and I know it was here last night so I hid the Direct TV remote control so hopefully while Teresa is looking for it she will find the other one.

At noon it’s only 72-degrees here. Incredible!

Teresa called me, she’s at MT’s apt, and we’re going to meet for lunch at La Bahia at 1:30.

I arrived early and waited for them outside the new apt building across from the restaurant. Teresa and I had the menu of the day and MT just had half a glass of juice (no stomach, remember?). Teresa wanted to go shopping in Santafe mall so I gave her the last 50mil bill I had on me. Restrictions for this week haven’t been set yet which is probably why I saw so many people in Viva Envigado and Exito. In the mall I recycled a couple plastic bottles then had a café con leche in Todo Fresa.

Glenn and Steve texted me the new Covid-19 restrictions for this week. Nightly curfew is again 8pm to 5am. Pico y cedula starts tomorrow and for us is on Friday (‘7’). It’s ‘5’ on Thursday so maybe I’ll try to get in somewhere with my Illinois driver’s license; I’ve heard any photo ID will work. Total quarantine again from 8pm Friday until 5am Monday. I don’t mention the dry law because it doesn’t affect me.

Just before 4pm I stopped in Exito where I picked up 3 things (all I could carry and I didn’t want to part with my small bills). The total came to 17,820 so I gave the cashier a 20mil bill and 850pesos. He gave me 50 back, well, 820 is closer to 800 than 850. The register said my change is 2,100 pesos, go figure and he gave me 2-2mil bills as change. I looked at it and at the register and he said “no problema”. I pointed to the 2,100 and held up the 4mil and again he said “no problema” so I left with it. Go figure! I returned to the apt via taxi. Getting out of the taxi I found a bright new 50peso coin, good luck, right?

I noticed Teresa dropped off some things before going to Santafa mall. I decided not to play games and brought out the Direct TV remote control. I just hope she can find the LG remote control.

The Colombian peso closed at over 3,800 to the US Dollar, good for us gringos, not so good for Colombia.

Teresa called me at 5:30 to tell me they were returning by bus. I asked her to take a taxi as it’s safer than a crowded bus.

Teresa returned at 6pm and she has no idea where the remote control is. Incredible. Unless our recliner can swallow remote controls the only logical explanation is some thief came in the night and stole our remote control. If we don’t find it in the next 24 hours I will try to order a new one.

More rain in the evening and it was still drizzling by the time we went to bed.

 

The US has 32,374,488 ð 32,448,302 ð 32,498,673 coronavirus cases with 575,600+ ð 576,600+ ð 577,300+ deaths. (Updated this morning instead of last night as I usually do.)

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 2,877,746 ð 2,893,655 ð 2,905,254 cases with 74,215 ð 74,700 ð 75,164 deaths. Medellin has 268,330 ð  269,737 ð 271,052 cases, an increase of 1,305 from May 2nd to 3rd. Envigado has a total of 22,982 cases, an increase of 66 from May 2nd to 3rd.

Joke of the day

An Irishman walks out of a bar. No, really, it can happen.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, I am Catholic and attended Catholic grade school and high school. The nuns taught us many unusual things. Among them is that when one finds a coin it is either a loved one from the other side letting you know they are thinking of you or it is your Guardian Angel warning you to be careful. I am now 70 yrs. old. To this day when I find a coin I wonder what person on the other side is sending me a message or whether I must be extra cautious.
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete