Sunday, May 2, 2021

Saturday, May 1, 2021

Happy May Day!

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:30.

One of my blog readers Wanna move sent me a NY Times quote about how bad Covid-19 is in South America. I have a subscription to the NY Times that allows me to view the coronavirus world map nightly - Coronavirus World Map: Tracking the Global Outbreak - The New York Times (nytimes.com)and I’ve  noticed for some time that Uruguay was in bad shape and also the little island of Curaçao (which few have heard of), one of 3 islands off the coast of Venezuela including the more commonly familiar Aruba. (I visited Aruba with a college buddy back in the 70s but you’ll have to buy me coffee for the details.) 😊

Here we continue to be on 3-day (Fri-Sun) lockdown with little leeway in allowing people to leave their homes. For Teresa and I it’s merely boring because with my SS we have a steady source of income, but many in the lower classes are in the “you got to work if you want to eat” group. Sad, really, because to work is to expose yourself to the virus. But I have no sympathy for those that gather to party and spread the virus.

I watched the first two days of the NFL draft using my expensive ($80?) NFL Game Pass account because Teresa has programs she watches in the evening. Day three starts at 11am so this time I’m watching it on ESPN using my Medellin TV account. Today the Chicago Bears selected another offensive tackle, a running back, a receiver, a cornerback and a defensive back with their remaining picks. It appears they struck gold with their first 2 picks but the others are more questionable.

I received an email from Smartfit with a special offer to return for only 29,900 pesos for each of the first 3 months. I’m scheduled to get my 2nd Pfizer vaccination on May 11th (hopefully) and a week after that I should have total protection so I’m thinking of returning by the end of the month.

Teresa called someone and learned that her pharmacy is closing at noon because of the protests so she left at 10:45 to pick up her medication. She returned at 11:30 with a couple bags of groceries. She informed me the pharmacy was closed because of the protests.

We got a little rain in the afternoon and the high was only about 72 degrees.

Aaargh! I lost to Michael on a blunder and my rating is now below 1500 again at 1493.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi today 5 games to 4. Teresa often says one of the best decisions I made was to buy the parcheesi set to keep us from getting bored. (Seems to me she only mentions it when she wins.) 😊

I gave up reading Terry C. Johnston’s paperback Ride the Moon Down. I just couldn’t get into it.

The US has 32,257,610 ð 32,316,340 ð 32,374,488 coronavirus cases with 573,900+ ð 574,700+ ð 575,600+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 2,841,934 ð 2,859,724 ð 2,877,746 cases with 73,230 ð 73,720 ð 74,215 deaths. Medellin has 265,564 ð 267,007 ð 268,330 cases, an increase of 1,323 from April 30th to May 1st. Envigado has a total of 22,842 cases, an increase of 120 from April 30th to May 1st.

Joke of the day

A funeral service is being held for a woman who has just passed away.  At the end of the service, the pallbearers are carrying the casket out when they accidentally bump into a wall, jarring the casket. They hear a faint moan.  They open the casket and find that the woman is actually alive!  She lives for ten more years, and then dies.  Once again, a ceremony is held, and at the end of it, the pallbearers are again carrying out the casket.  As they carry the casket towards the door, the husband cries out, “Watch out for that wall!”

No comments:

Post a Comment