Monday, March 27, 2023

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up once during the night, again at 4am, couldn’t fall back asleep, finally getting up just after 5am. (I initially fell asleep fine, now I seem to be having sleep problems at the other end.)

I left the apt just before 8:30 and walked to the bus stop outside Smartfit. When the stoplight changed, so I knew a bus wouldn’t be coming soon, I stepped inside Smartfit. There was a young man working at the desk. I asked if he spoke English and he said “no” but got on the PA system and called for a trainer who spoke English. After a few minutes when no one came I explained in my broken Spanish, “the last time I was here was Wednesday, March 11th, 2020. Since then, we had the pandemic and I had a couple surgeries. My last surgery was a hernia repair a year ago. Could I somehow have a trial day so I could see if I could handle the discomfort of the exercises? He agreed as long as I returned in the afternoon sometime before his shift ended at 5pm”. (I later found out his name is Jose.)

Outside I quickly caught a Sabaneta bus and was at Sweet Georgia by 9am. While I waited for Glenn I went inside and exchanged paperbacks. He arrived a couple minutes later. I told him how much I enjoyed my lunch at Olivenza, the restaurant in Sao Paolo that he recommended. I told him about my unnecessary attempt at a regular marriage, and my progress towards our trip to Greece. I suggested we try a new café called Repeat in Poblado (Carrera 36 #8A-5) for breakfast next Sunday. We shared a taxi back to Envigado.

Teresa had a massage from 1:30 to 2:30 and right after the girl left I walked to Smartfit. Luckily, the same young man I talked to this morning was there now; his name is Juan. He gave me a paper to fill out (it appeared to be who to contact in case of emergency) and sign and fingerprint. I went upstairs and dropped off my umbrella, keys, and cellphone in a locker and locked it with my combination padlock. I’m glad I kept my gym notebook because it listed the 11 exercises I was doing and how I set the machine including how much weight. I went through the same exercise routine I last did 3 years ago but with approximately 60% of the weight. (I guess I’m going to have to hold my cellphone in my hand if I want credit for steps on the treadmill.) I noticed it was raining outside as I was finishing up.

I wanted to weigh myself but they have some complicated electronic thing where I need to use their Smartfit app and sign into my account, which I don’t have yet.

I told Juan everything went well and requested to enroll in their Black plan (meaning I can use any Smartfit location) for 89,900 a month. Since I’m using Laura’s Bancolombia account they said I needed her signature on some form. I explained she’s living in the US and somehow he found a way around it. I signed another form and added my fingerprint at their turnstyle along with my userid (cedula) and password (ddmmy) of my birthday. Another young man who was helping me is Giovanni (sp?). They’re having a promotion so I will be paying:

39,900 – 1st & 2nd months (discounted monthly fee)

128,900 – 3rd month (discounted monthly fee plus annual maintenance fee)

89,900 – all following months, regular monthly fee.

In the future I pay the annual maintenance fee on the same month as the 3rd month so, June?

I understand they deduct the fees from the account on the 10th of the month.

My plan is to go regularly on Monday and Wednesdays to this Ave Poblado location  and Fridays to the Viva Envigado location but this week I won’t go tomorrow because I was just there today.

Luckily, it wasn’t raining when I left but it soon started after I returned to the apt.

I watched more episodes of The West Wing.

We had a little more rain in the evening and then about 9pm it started pouring. It had stopped by the time we went to bed.

Today I got in 3,674 steps.

 

Meanwhile in Canada



No comments:

Post a Comment