Thursday, March 30, 2023

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Last night I went to bed at 9:45, woke up at 4:45am to NO birds tweeting outside our bedroom window, fell back asleep, finally getting up at 6:30.

Sorry, Jack, I can't explain the photo. I see I accidentally posted it twice but besides that I guess what happens in Canada stays in Canada.

I won my game against Troyclough (took a week) raising my rating to 1593, so close to 1600.

It’s been 3 years since I was a regular at the gym and now I’m trying to figure out my pre-gym routine. Currently I’ll get up, wash my face, have breakfast, shave, wait 45 minutes then by the time I arrive at the gym it will have been an hour since I’ve eaten. After my workout I’ll return to the apt and take my shower for the day.

I had a few minutes before it was time to leave so I checked the rates of flights to/from Madrid and Athens and today it was only $478 compared to the $629-$650 range I’ve been seeing. I decided no matter how long it takes I’d better purchase them now. After I went through the process of choosing to allow a checked bag, carryon and personal item the price went up and also changed to Euros, €848.14. (For the Air Europa flight you choose your baggage first so it’s included in the price upfront.) This time I did manage to figure out how to choose 2 aisle seats for an additional €20 each so we’re at least sitting across from each other. Since there’s currently 0.92 euros to the US Dollar that means the total purchase of €888.14 came to approximately $965.37. I looked at my USAA account online and I don’t see that transaction but I do see the Air Europa charge.

I finally left for the gym. As I entered, to my right I saw a guy built like a fullback wearing a Bulls #23 sleeveless t-shirt and I gave him the thumbs up. He probably thought I was crazy. My fingerprint didn’t work at the turnstile but a lady working there looked up my account and allowed me in. Of course they are much busier today than when I was here Sunday afternoon. As I reached the stairs, I ran into the Bulls guy. I told him I’m from Chicago. He mentioned Michael Jordan and I told him I once met him but he may not have understood. His English is about as good as my Spanish. We exchanged names, I remember it started with an ‘S’, Sebastian? He asked me something and I had the impression he was offering to spot for me. This floor is for free weights so I explained I’m using the machines on the 1st floor.

I went through my usual routine with no problem.

After I left using the turnstile I asked a young man at the desk how do I download their app so I can see my weight. Instead of an app called Smartfit it was called TrainingGym and it took a while for him to set it up. After I stood on the pad without moving for about 30 seconds, it displayed my Peso (weight) of 82.4kg, Grasa (fat) of 16.4%, Musculo (muscle) of 67.3kg.

I walked back to the apt.

Now I see the Aegean airline charge and it’s $963.72, pretty close to my estimate.

Wow, my legs are tired, but my arms are fine, probably because I had been working out regularly with the 7# dumbbell.

I left the apt about 2pm and had 2 lattes in Los PorteƱos. At one point the waiters pointed out this red squirrel in an orange tree on the other side of the sidewalk.




About 3pm a downpour started with strong lightning.

By 4:30 the rain had stopped, I left, bought a dozen tomatoes and a package of wholewheat cookies in Ara on my way back to the apt.

Teresa insisted on a full financial accounting of the Punta Cana trip I had cancelled.

On August 6th I paid:

$1040.58 to Orbitz for the Grand Sirenis hotel

$515.50 for COPA Airlines

$467.80 to Avianca Airlines

On September 27th I cancelled all of the above.

Both the airlines claim I have a credit for the full amount but Orbitz I couldn’t even contact anyone, just their automated customer service.

For supper we went to Gloria’s for pizza and Teresa presented her with the cap she decorated for her. I don’t recall if Gloria paid Teresa anything to make it but at least she comped us on the pizza.

 

Today I got in 3,488 steps.

 

Meanwhile in Canada



1 comment:

  1. Terry, I found that the picture yesterday was a dish Canadians like- French Fries with gravy and cheese curds. It is named Poutine. I think I will pass on it. I liked today's pic---very cute.
    Thanks for sharing my cup of coffee with me most days.
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete