Saturday, April 23, 2016

Friday, April 22nd, 2016



6 days and counting!

I slept through the night.  Yay!

I got up about 7am when I heard the workers digging outside.

The veterinarian, Felipe, showed up and Teresa talked to him for some time.
Leonardo showed up with a new wheel for the old wheelbarrow.  Now they won’t have to carry away dirt in 5 gallon plastic pails.

8am came and went.

At one point Teresa was on the phone talking to someone while Leonardo was sitting in the kitchen and Felipe was sitting in the living room.  Felipe knows a little English and I learned he studied for 5 years at the University of Antioquia (EAFIT doesn’t have a veterinarian school) and he has been working as a vet for about 5 years.

Felipe told me we could put a small camera in the corner of a room that would record everything (hmmm; no more sex on the kitchen table; lol) and send it to a remote location for recording.  (I guess that way they could get good video of us getting our throats slit.)  Not exactly a deterrent.  He told me putting a loud horn outside would not be a good idea as they would exact revenge on us.

I gave Leonardo 60mil for the wheelbarrow wheel and Teresa gave him 500mil for work done thus far.

9am came and went.  I understood that we’re waiting for a phone call from her cousin Nidia, who owns the El Rancherito restaurants, and they’re going to pick us up and go to the police department.

A neighbor, Geraldo, came by and apparently got into an argument with Teresa.  Later she told me that the thieves visited him – does he think we could have possibly stopped them?

Teresa made me wear my new leather shoes even though they are painful to my heel when I walk uphill.  I took my iPad so I could email my brother, my Nook so I could read my book and download other books should I not have anything else to do, and a measuring tape so I could measure the size of the apartment rooms and the hallway stairs leading up to it.

We finally left the finca at 10:45, I gave each of the dogs a dog biscuit but when we got to the top of the hill Teresa realized she forgot her sunglasses.  Sigh!  She wanted me to go back with her to help with Guillermo’s dogs.  As soon as we got past Guillermo’s house I waited in a little shade while Teresa retrieved he sunglasses.  We managed to get past the G-dogs without paying further toll.

Nydia was waiting for us in their Kia Sportage SUV.  She was with her husband and who I figure was her son driving.  It was an automatic with air conditioning which was nice.  They drove to Caldas but when we arrived at the Caldas police station for some reason they said we had to go to the Envigado station.

On the way there Nydia was talking on her cell phone.  At one point they pulled off the road onto a shoulder and Teresa asked me to get out of the car.  Teresa looked like she was going to get out also but remained in the car.  I think Nydia was talking about some sensitive information, but hey, I have a small hearing loss, Teresa was sitting between us and I DON’T UNDERSTAND SPANISH!  How rude!  After 5-10 minutes I was invited back into the car.  I was surprised when they turned around and headed back in the other direction.  I asked where we were going and was told the Caldas police station.  I laughed out loud – loudly.  Driving downtown Caldas we stopped at a Tienda Natural Health store which was called Azahares at Carrera 49 #131Sur-50.  It sold natural products (vitamins and such) and included a bakery with a restaurant in the back.  Teresa ordered for me and I got a large bowl of frijoles with pieces of mango inside, a slice of avocado and about 6 small french fries on top (?).  Then they brought me a plate with tomato slices and what looked like cous cous (they said it was natural rice).  I didn’t care for the rice.  I also had a glass of strawberry juice.  The others had something similar and Nydia’s husband paid 38,600 (about $13) for all of us.  Afterwards we went outside where there were a few umbrella tables and an unusually nice breeze.  After 5 minutes Nydia said it was too cold out and we went back inside.  ?  Unfortunately, the restaurant did not have wi-fi so I still couldn’t email my brother.

For some reason they were in no hurry to leave and we were there for about 2 hours.  Maybe the police station closes down for lunch from noon to 2pm?  In the meantime I ordered one of their little muffins I saw in the bakery.  It had raisins inside but was as dry as anything – so much for health food.  I learned that Nydia and her 3 children own 7 El Rancherito restaurants in the area.  That probably keeps her on the phone all day.
A quote from Carl Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot that I’m currently reading “Massive mudflows from the eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in 1985 killed more than 25,000 Colombians.”  I recall seeing a 30th anniversary rememberance on TV last year.

I was surprised when again we changed directions and drove to the Envigado police station on the edge of downtown - it didn’t look much like a police station.  They took Teresa and Nydia upstairs so I understood they didn’t need me.  They said they had wifi and I found the network but the signal was so weak it was worthless.  After about an hour and 15 minutes I figured I’d wasted enough time and told Nydia’s son I’m going to Carbon de Lena to send an email and I would return here when finished.  I think that shocked him a little.  At the restaurant I sent my brother an email and while waiting had an iced tea.  After checking the rest of my emails – maybe 30 minutes – I returned to the police station and the ladies still weren’t back.  That’s when the policeman mentioned that it takes 2 hours.  I told the son I was going to the internet café where I called the US and cancelled my 2nd debit card and ordered a new one.  There’s no real rush on this one and it probably won’t arrive for 4 weeks or so.

Back at the police station they finally came out 2 hours and 15 minutes after they went in.  We walked across the street where they entered this little store for a drink.  When asked I was told they didn’t have wi-fi; the owner pointed to an outlet on the floor but that wasn’t going to do it.  I insisted to Teresa that we go to Carbon de Lena because I needed wi-fi.  We said goodbye to the others and walked the 2 blocks to the restaurant.  I had another iced tea, she had a juice and we shared some type of cheese pastry called pan de queso.  Teresa asked me if I wanted to sleep in Envigado tonight.  I asked why and she replied that she’s afraid to go back to the finca.  (I wonder if she learned something more at the police station.)  I told her not to worry because it’s too soon for the bad guys to return.

After about 30 minutes we left and took a taxi to the highway.  After about 10 minutes we were on a Tratam bus back to the finca.  Teresa informed me that she left her flip flops in the SUV.  After passing Guillermo’s house the black dog came charging down the sideroad and cut in front of me with its tongue salivating so I gave him a dog biscuit.  We got back to the finca at 6:30 just as it was getting dark.  I think we’ve decided not to put the dogs away at night because we would rather have them for security.  Tomorrow we head back to Envigado to sign the documents (I guess).  I saw that I received an email from my brother probably right after I closed my iPad.  I’ll try again tomorrow.  We certainly wasted a lot of time today that I could have used had I just known what was going on.

I think Teresa asked me if we should list the finca with the real estate agency.  I first suggested she talk to her friends and relatives and let them know it’s available and maybe she can rent it without having to pay an agency.

She got a phone call that Une is coming to fix the internet connection tomorrow.  So now the plan is to have a quick breakfast, go to Envigado to sign the papers, call my brother and hightail it back to the finca in time to be here for Une.

T-shirt of the day: Lovers help each other undress before sex.  However after sex, they always dress on their own.  Moral of the story -- In life, no one helps you once you're screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment