Saturday, April 30, 2016

Friday, April 29th, 2016



Tonight is rounds 2 & 3 of the NFL draft beginning at 7pm ET.

Among today’s new US movie releases, I would like to see A Beautiful Planet (9.6).  Locally, there isn’t anything I want to see.

I forgot to mention that I found my Safeway Dill Pickle Chips at Exito last night.  Yay!

More Expat Exchange comments regarding our home invasion:
Dcventures: I am glad you had that experience as I think it may be an experience that wises you and your girl up to the realities of remotely living as a gringo in Colombia. I know the dream: ours was initially a finca where our kids could come and visit from the states, Peace and tranquility abounds. What a bunch of crap! I also know what happens when you have an experience like you had and how we were never again able to spend any tranquil time at our finca in parcelation Popalito, 40 kilometers north of Medellin after such. A very nice psuedo "gated community". Our hearts had been changed and the dream destroyed. Ours was a little more complex, but I think it saved us from a worse fate. We weren't finca people anyhow and an apartment in Sabeneta better fits our needs today. Colombia is a wonderful country where I expect to die. But I have lost much of the naivety I brought into Colombia from the states, And most all of the Colombian people are good. There is just a small percentage of the population that’s evil. Unfortunately, you can not really know who they are until it’s to late. So you limit your exposure as best you can. That’s what everyone who has anything of value does in Colombia. DC DC.
CAtoMDE: Well said DCVENTURES. For 4 years I own a sizeable dairy farm out by San Pedro. I rarely go out there as it causes too much commotion and unwanted interest. So to be safe I nor my paisa wife, who manages the operation, never have a routine, always travel with a few other Colombian friends and stay low keyed. I have never even walked in to Colanta, so no one would see this big gringo and get any ideas. We never, never even mention the Spanish word that they use for a man or woman who owns a large farm (don't even write it here) nor do we show anything on our Facebook or any other communication tool that hints of what we have. After reading this experience from the OP we now will become more careful, we will never mention when we travel to Colombia or leave, we come and go like a ship passing in the night. I too plan on retiring in Colombia in the next 6-8 years and hopefully a new president will clean things up in a grander scale but that too is wishful thinking. Key points: Be low keyed/low profile, know your surroundings, don't trust anyone, enjoy.
BrianBunuelo: Thank God you and your g/f are physically unharmed. I know the experience left you both traumatized. We really appreciate your courage and for sharing the details with others. As I prepare for my relocation, I often think of preparing for this reality. I think there are great resouces online of how to enjoy Colombia and more to follow. But it seems there is a need for a site/app dedicated to security tips and news as more foreigners visit and relocate.

If I wasn’t clear yesterday, I think we’ve found our apartment.  It isn’t perfect but we can fix it up some and we can always move after 6 months.
Today we’re going back to Envigado so I can pay my health insurance premium for May.  I believe we’ll also revisit the apartment where I will take photos and room measurements.

Teresa told me we have to go into town next week and buy cement, sand, and water pipes for the work on the sideroad leading to the finca.

I received an email from MBE that I have 3 documents waiting for pickup.  I’m pretty sure one of them is my new USAA debit card.  Hopefully, we can get there sometime early next week.

Teresa received a call and then told me there are 2 different people possibly interested in renting the finca.  Someone is coming by about noon to take a look at it.

Teresa didn’t want to go out today so I had her call Natalia and we have been given permission to pay my health insurance on Monday, May 2nd.  So we’ll probably go to MBE the same day.

We took a nap for about an hour.  I understand the guy who was going to look at the finca got lost.  The guy from Agency #1 called and said he wasn’t interested in the finca.  Not positive if it’s the same guy.  (I forgot to mention I emailed Laura photos of the finca and she was to send them to the agencies.)

I checked the address of the apartment and it looks like it’s about 10 blocks from Parque Envigado.

Laura emailed me some links to a few apartments but I’m busy watching the NFL draft.

The Bears traded their 2nd round pick to the Seattle Seahawks but I don’t know yet for what.  Maybe picks next year?  I finally learned they traded down 5 spots and also got an additional 4th round pick, then they drafted Cody Whitehair, a versatile guard from Kansas State.

Teresa informed me that the apartment we saw yesterday is no longer available as the store next door is going to expand into that space.  :(

T-shirt of the day: Take every change and drop away fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment