Sunday, May 1, 2016

Saturday, April 30th, 2016



Today are rounds 4-7 of the NFL draft beginning at noon ET.

Teresa had a good idea.  We will include 2 bedroom apartments in our search, one bedroom for us and one for Laura.  When visitors come for a visit Laura will move temporarily into Wilson’s apartment.  Also, if we can’t find a suitable apartment in Envigado we will widen our search to include the Sabaneta, Belen, and Laureles neighborhoods.

It appears the Colombian Peso has closed for the week at 2,848 to the US Dollar.

More Expat Exchange comments re: our home invasion:
LaPiranha: I'm with Cafetero on this. Ok, I am sad to hear of Andresen's terrible incident, and as I said in my previous post, its great that they weren't harmed, and they have my sympathy. But lets get real. If the same thing happened in New York City, would MoodyBlue be saying the same thing? Like never move to NY, its too damn dangerous? No, of course not, so I can't agree with MoodyBlue, and I take exception to him calling us all idiots. There are many of us here in Colombia (spelled with an "o", by the way, not a "u"), who are very happy here, and wouldn't dream of going back to our former countries, where its becoming a daily occurrence now, to get shot or stabbed whilst someone robs you, or your children massacred whilst sitting at their school desks by some psycho who is out of his head on drugs, or his girlfriend just dumped him. I think if I had to barricade myself into my home, and were too afraid to come out, I'd seek help. You certainly couldn't enjoy life, or those wonderful things that Colombia has to offer. Colombia is no more dangerous than the US or the UK, and even in Europe there are terrorist suicide bombers in almost every country, and blowing up anyone and everyone they can. You can't live in a prison. If you are so terrified in case it happens to you, you might as well build an underground bunker, live in it, and never ever come out. I certainly could never live that way. I love walking the streets at night, all lit up, and bustling shopping streets, its just so beautiful. And like Cafetero, I have never ever felt threatened or intimidated. Yes, there is crime, of course, the same as anywhere in the world, and I freely admit that it may happen to me one day, but to say "Don't move to Colombia, or you are an idiot" is utter garbage, spoken by someone without a backbone, and by someone who just doesn't know anything about Colombia at all. Just like you would back home, you try to take all the precautions that you can, not going out dripping in jewellery, flashing your wealth, and attracting attention. Just live your normal daily life. But if you act scared, you will find that the crims will pick up on that, and you'll quickly be their next target. Walk around with confidence, and you'll find people will think twice about robbing someone who looks like they aren't afraid. Life is to be enjoyed, and its better to enjoy, than live your life too scared to come out. I am also happy to be bringing my children up here in Bogota. They are growing up well balanced, worldly, aware of different cultures, different life situations, rich and poor living side by side in total harmony, They are becoming "street-wise", and aware, and this experience is one that will stay with them for life. If that makes us idiots, like Cafetero says, count me in.
SkyMan: La Piranha, you are spot on with your post. Those of you who live in the U.S. I have a question you you... Would you go walking the streets of Chicago & Detroit late at night ? I don't think so. One thing to consider is this.....if you walk around...looking afraid, naturally the bad guys can tell & you just made yourself a target. Always know about your surroundings & naturally be aware of things that you see all around you. I've live out of the U.S. for a while and have not ever felt "threatened" whether I am alone or with a companion.
Jonrod888: BJM is correct with living in Colombia. You always have to look over your shoulder and never let anyone know of your personal finances nor possessions. You can not trust in-laws ... people here talk. NOT THE SAME IN USA. I doubt if anyone reading this forum has enough money to make it worth the effort for someone in the USA to kidnap, watch, scout, break-in for $$$$. Yes, there are random robberies, shootings etc. but they are random in the USA. In Colombia, $100US is a lot of money but not so much in the USA to make it worth the chance of being put in jail. Colombians don't think they will get caught nor put in jail. Most on this forum are average/below average income in the USA but in Colombia you are a rich Gringo. Yes, there are high risks of living in a developing country where the average income is low ... that's why most gringos are here.
BigJailerMan: Gaula are real pros... I would contact them.. language wouldnt be barrier with them. http://dialogo-americas.com/en_GB/articles/rmisa/features/regional_news/2014/04/28/gaula-colombia
LaPiranha: BJM. I have to agree with you on all those points you make. I suppose we in Bogota were sheltered from the recent trouble up in the north, and as we weren't affected by it, we forget quickly. But overall, I too, don't have any real fear for my safety, but am still careful, and I think that's the best attitude. Long may we enjoy those things that brought us here. :) Jonrod. That's an interesting point, that in The US, getting turned over for $50 or $100 isn't worth going to jail for. But we in the UK found that for small amounts, or a cellphone, people don't even report those crimes. For small amounts, it very rarely ever leads to a conviction, so people just write it off, and don't even report it. I don't know, but I guess it could be similar in the States? Therefore, is the true crime rate actually a little worse than the official figures? Can't trust your in-laws? Ha Ha, depends who you marry. :) But yes, we have to understand that, as you rightly say, $100 her in Colombia is worth the risk, especially when the likelihood of getting caught is low. Keep alert has to be the keyword.
Fecherklyn: Probably the best post I have seen on CF with loads of very intelligent responses. It really ought to figure as the preface to every request from people thinking about coming to Colombia. It is right in the "zone" of my present concerns. "Should I stay in Colombia (I have been here 14 years), or should I return "home" (Europe). I might as well spin a coin, there are so many advantages and disadvantages. I don't like trying to be like the :invisible man" every time I leave the house, but "home" doesn't sound so enticing as it used to and I enjoy home comforts here that I could never aspire to if I left. I and my wife have been violently assaulted 4 times in L. America, the last time with a gun held at my wife's head. That despite us taking every caution to stay inconspicuous. Would we have done better in Europe?.....we shall never know.

The realtor showed up about 2:15 with a middle aged man and woman.  It was obvious she loved the kitchen.  They left after only 5 minutes, maybe because a thunder storm was approaching.  We had a few showers but it didn’t last long.

In the evening on the news they showed a lot of storm damage in Envigado like swollen streams, trees and lightposts down.

Teresa is really nervous about staying in the finca.  She wants to rent one of the apartments we saw last week but I don’t recall it clearly.

About 8pm I noticed it was raining.

I understand tomorrow we’re going to Caldas to buy dog food.

T-shirt of the day: Just tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment