Saturday, May 21, 2016

Monday, May 9th, 2016 – Moving Day #1



I got up once during the night at 4:30am, it took a little while to fall back asleep then I slept until 8am.

For some reason the hot water heater didn’t work on the shower this morning so all I really washed was my face.  It’s a good thing we’re getting out of here soon.

Teresa finally got in touch with Juan Carlos and I understand we’ll be making a trip to the apartment today and another tomorrow.

We broke down the guest bed and one of the twin beds in Laura’s room.  I understand we’ll be sleeping here in the finca again tonight.

I had Laura watch a Youtube video in Spanish for the Forearm Forklift and then we practiced moving a mattress.  I’m going to show it to Juan Carlos and hopefully he will use it to move the mattresses and the washing machine.

The movers showed up at 12:30, a strong middle-aged man and a young boy.  I didn’t think the younger one would be very strong but he pulled his weight.  At 1:30 as soon as they left with the chess table it started raining but it stopped a few minutes later.  We left with our first load at 2:45.  Teresa told me she would ride in the truck and Laura and I would take the bus.  After a 15 minute wait and 4 buses passed Laura decided we would go to Caldas first.  When we finally arrived in Envigado we stopped outside Exito and picked up ham sandwiches for the 3 of us.  I bought a couple cheese pastries for the guys and then we stopped at a small store where we picked up a couple beers for them.  

I paid the guy with the truck 200,000 and each of the 2 workers 50mil.
By the time I got the beds set up I definitely needed a shower.  After setting up Laura’s bedroom it was obvious there isn’t space for the 2nd bed.

Teresa and I took the bus back to the finca.  For the first time it was raining by the time we got off the bus.  Teresa put on a plastic poncho while I held the large umbrella for her.  It was pouring actually.  In the dark it was like walking upstream in a creek.  On the way down the hill, close to the finca, Teresa fell on her butt but wasn’t hurt – just a little sore.  I guess I had my shower just getting to the finca.  My shoes were soaked, my jeans were wet from the knees down and my back was soaked.  I no longer needed to take a shower – I just needed to dry off.

T-shirt of the day: There is no finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment