Thursday, May 26, 2016

Wednesday, May 25th, 2016



I woke up about 5am to an awful smell that seemed to be coming in the bedroom window so I closed it.  (Later I think we figured out it was bags of garbage sitting outside the building.)

I got to see the Today show for the first time in a couple weeks.

I wanted to call the US but instead of magicJack’s usual call screen instead I got a renewal screen.  But I bought a subscription through 2020.  I waited about 30 minutes to chat with a magicJack rep and then we exchanged the following:
Renon: Hi, my name is Renon. How may I help you?
Terry Andresen: My subscription is paid up until 2020 so why am I getting a renewal screen?
Renon: Please wait while I check that for you
Renon: One moment please...
Renon: Are you referring for your magicJack device?
Terry Andresen: I booted up my laptop with my magicJack PLUS in the USB port and instead of taking me to the dial/contacts screen I see a "Select a magicJack PLUS Renewal Option" screen.
Renon: Sorry to hear that.
Renon: For verification purposes may I have your physical address registered on file?
Terry Andresen: I'm in Colombia and it will take me a few minutes to find what address i may have given you. Is that really necessary?
Renon: Please disregards.
Renon: As I have checked here you purchase the renewal plan on your magicJackGO not on your magicJackPLUS.
Terry Andresen: so?
Renon: You need to renew it.
Terry Andresen: So you are saying that my 5 year contract for my magicJackGO cannot be used with my new hardware - the magicJackPLUS?
Renon: Yes correct.
Terry Andresen: That sounds more like a magicJackMINUS to me!
Terry Andresen: Can I still use my magicJackGO?
Renon: Yes because its still active.
Terry Andresen: So why would I want to buy the magicJack PLUS? Whats the advantage?
Renon: Sorry let me correct that one.
Renon: Since you purchase the renewal on your magicjackGO not on your magicJack device, for now the only device you can use your magicJackGO.
Terry Andresen: So, why would anyone want to buy a new hardware device (PLUS) when they can't use the long-term service contract they bought for previous hardware (GO). If i buy a long term contract all you have to do is come out with new hardware that invalidates that!
Renon: Sorry all our device have the same features only we upgraded some quality on it when it comes to the service it all the same.
Terry Andresen: So, let me ask a different way. Why would anyone want to buy a long term subscription when they wouldn't be able to use it if they upgraded their hardware?
Renon: Let me answer your question.
Terry Andresen: please do.
Renon: They want the long subscription because they can save than purchasing a renewal per year.
Terry Andresen: That's exactly why i did that.
Terry Andresen: So since you know now that I have a magicJack PLUS just carryover the subscription from the magicJackGO.
Renon: The renewal of each device is separated it is not possible to transfer the renewal to the other device.
Terry Andresen: Of course it is possible. It's a simple programming change. Unless, of course they don't want to!
Renon: Here's I can do for you I will make a request that you want to transfer your subscription on your other device.
Terry Andresen: of course. If not then I will have to share this magicJack disadvantage with my blog and my friends on Expat Exhange.
Terry Andresen: You have my email address in your system, right?
Renon: Yes we will contact you on your email 24-48 hours after.
Renon: For the result of your request.

According to Medellin Living “the United States is hosting the 2016 Copa America tournament in June, and the opening match of the group stage is the USA v. Colombia at 9:30 p.m. (Eastern Time).”  In the US this is known as soccer, in the rest of the world it’s known as futból and this opening match is on June 3rd.

I finished Nelson DeMille’s book Radiant Angel and downloaded one of his first books The Charm School.  Because of all my extra time, waiting around for the movers for example, I’ve already read 5 books this month.

I watched the Cleveland Indians vs Chicago White Sox baseball game which was on Direct TV this afternoon.  I understood they got some summer-like weather today with a high of about 81.  Unfortunately, the Sox lost 4-3.

Teresa told me Luis (the husband of the couple who are very interested in the finca) wants to show it to his cousin.  He stopped by in the evening and they talked briefly and he left.  Later she told me she forgot to give Luis the keys to the finca.  Then why did they meet?  If it was necessary to exchange the keys you would think one of them would have brought it up.

I mentioned to Teresa about going to the finca Friday to get the rest of our stuff and she informed me we’re going tomorrow.  Maybe that’s why she didn’t have to give him the keys.

T-shirt of the day: Laugh as much as you breathe.

2 comments:

  1. Gee... One more reason to dissuade me from opting on magicJack! Thanx for reporting this.

    Hope they resolve your problem pronto. Wonder if it actually says anywhere that's obvious on the magicJack website that your subscription does not 'roll-over' to a upgraded device. That sounds suspiciously 'Bait&Switch-y' when you stop to think about it.

    I went with Skype early on and just use their pay-as-you-go arrangement, which has never given me any major sort of problem except for the sound quality of the occasional call, but most (of my free calls, computer-to-computer) are excellent & clear-sounding.

    ¡Buena Suerte!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete