Sunday, May 8, 2016

Saturday, May 7th, 2016



I got up at 4am and had great difficulty getting back to sleep.  I got up at 7am when Leonardo showed up and we all had a cup of tinto.  I went back to bed at 8:30 finally getting up at 10:30.

It appears the Colombian Peso closed at 2,956 to the US Dollar.  At least, after falling for weeks, it went up again.

I forgot to mention, yesterday I saw an older man in a Chicago White sox hat (looked new) and a young man in a Chicago Bears jacket.

I finished Nelson DeMille’s 432 page Night Fall and downloaded his 483 page Wild Fire.

I guess I posted yesterday’s activities too quickly as I also forgot to mention I checked the showers and they have hot water – just like in the US.  Great!

I finally got past the latest Rosetta Stone writing exercise with a score of 88%.  (Those accent marks can be a killer.)

More comments regarding my Home Invasion post:
Fecherklyn: A common occurrence is happening right now in our house; we are, once again, giving serious thought to leaving Medellin, and Colombia. We have been here 14 years now, but the frequency of considering our options is rising. Today my wife's cousin was mugged (in Belen) in her car with baby aboard and everything of possible value was taken; you do not argue with a knife at your child's throat.  Just another crime? It happens wherever you are? Nowhere is safe nowadays? and so on, and so on. We also have tried to minimise the negative about what we see around us, but finally the story about "the straw that broke the camel's back" comes to mind. I ask myself "are we exaggerating (the danger)?”  But I do not think so, the poor level of security in Colombia, and Medellin in particular, has reached the red alert limits. Today, it was my wife's cousin, a few days ago an uncle opted out (of Colombia) when his Laureles apartment administrator told him the monthly quota would be going up to pay the new "protection" extortion. Last month I gave help to our part time maid when her pitiful studio was ransacked. At the last count, my wife's family has had over a dozen members murdered, and not because they were associating with the wrong people. I could go on, and on, but you get the point. So far, my wife and I have been robbed here 4 times, fortunately without any undue violence if one discounts a revolver being held at your head. My amazement is that we do not figure within the "statistics", and how long will our luck last. I am fed up with people ignoring the "facts" in Colombia with the assurances that "just take a low profile and avoid certain places". Medellin does not belong to this scenario with any certainty any more. Ask the guy in my bank....he was mugged in broad daylight in Oviedo recently and the "muggers" walked quietly away amongst the watching shoppers. One can only live on excuses for so long.
Cafetero: I don´t think any of us on this list is advocating dropping our guard for one minute. What we are saying is......don´t stand out like a sore thumb and hopefully you will be overlooked by robbers looking for a rich target. It is unfortunate that your wife´s family has suffered so much tragedy and also very unfortunate you have been robbed four times. That would convince me to move out of Medellin at least, and probably convince me to move out of Colombia totally. I´ve only been robbed once so far, so my experience level certainly is not as great as yours. But, I am fully aware my luck could change tomorrow and I could wind up robbed or even hurt or dead very easily. So, my advice remains; don´t let your guard down, dress casually to blend in with the crowd, and hang out in areas where you feel safe.  I´m starting to get the impression that the cities with their dense populations are less safe than the pueblos with the smaller populations. This may be analogous with a comparison of cities and towns in the US. I don´t know this to be true, but it certainly seems like it to me. Good luck with your decision making process about returning to the US. Quite frankly, I think about returning to the US myself sometimes, not so much because I am afraid for my safety and well being here, but because I really miss some of my former activities in the US such as RV traveling, wilderness camping, kayaking.......and skiing :)
LaPiranha: I agree, that when we hear the reports from others on this forum, it’s so sad to hear, and we must be thankful that the result is only the robbery, and nothing worse. But we must also remember that this idyllic spot in Paradise which attracts so many expats, Medellin, is, and always has been, a hotbed of crime, robberies, murders, kidnappings, narco traffickers, and the home to one of the world's most savage kingpins, Pablo Escobar. By clever marketing, Medellin has been portrayed as a safe, warm and friendly, clean, upper class retirement destination, where you can relax, enjoy life, and have not a care in the world. All the expats seem to fall for this "whitewashing" of the true nature of Medellin, and they drop their guard, believing they will have a lovely retirement in a beautiful and peaceful setting, warm climate, and just perfect in every way. But Medellin is still Medellin. Life is, and always was, cheap, the crime is still there, and drugs, murders, robberies still happen. It’s a way of life for so many locals, and no matter how much "hype" you read and start to believe about all the good qualities of the city, you will still find the dirt, noise, poverty, squalor, pollution, traffic jams, and other things you thought you'd never encounter there. And I know some folk will deny this, but Cali is much the same too. Cali, also the home of one of the most notorious cartels, still has the same mentality in its people, just like Medellin. Bogota too. But here in Bogota, the problem of the legacy of the cartels is much, much less. You find the biggest presence of the cartels is closer to where the stuff grows, and the violence that it breeds. Crime here in Bogota is more "everyday crime", a few muggings, cellphone robberies, etc, and the most severe aspects like murders etc, are usually found in places where you wouldn't go anyway. But getting back to Medellin, people still make a beeline for Medellin, based on the hype that promoted it as an expat destination, but in whose interest is it, to tell the truth about the place? Not the city's local authorities, not the tourist boards, not the property developers, and not even the expats who have bought expensive property there, as to tell you that it’s unsafe will only devalue their own properties. Colombia is a beautiful place, with many wonderful things. But it is essential to be realistic, and realize that there are problems everywhere, just like New York, Chicago, Detroit, London, Paris, Brussels or the Philippines or Thailand. In life we have to take some risks, or we would all live in little boxes with armed guards, like living in a prison cell. But we have to try to minimise those risks wherever we can. Running away doesn't solve anything, and you may well run straight into another risk somewhere else. All we can do is take any sensible precautions that we can, and rely on luck to play its part too, Most of us will get through just fine, but there will always be a risk of an incident somewhere, sometime, somehow, just like back home.

At 1:30 it started raining hard which turned the weather much cooler.

About 2pm the dogs went crazy as a young man showed up.  I understood the word water (they probably meant rain) but didn’t know what was going on when Teresa went into the bathroom and started cleaning the sink.  I understood a couple minutes later when the rest of the family that visited us last Tuesday arrived.  They all sat in the living room and talked for awhile.  Then they toured the house again including the loft area and out back.
After they left Teresa informed me that the father has a lot of money and also had a gun.  That kind of trumps the pepper spray I was carrying in my pocket.  I hope he settles the score with those thieves next time they come back to get more money from the gringo.

We watched a DVD movie that Laura had called And Soon the Darkness (5.2).  I had seen it before – don’t remember where or when or with whom.
I watched Dragonfly (6.1) from my hard drive.  It was an atypical Kevin Costner movie.

I heard it start raining as we went to be at 11:15.

T-shirt of the day: Make me feel invicible.

No comments:

Post a Comment