Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday, May 14th, 2016 – Moving Day #4



I had breakfast at Carbón de Leña and got an order to go (a new word I’ve learned - llevar) for Teresa.  We spent some more time organizing the place.
I have the only set of apartment keys now so if she wants a set for herself and Laura (I’m sure she does) now she’ll be more motivated to getting them made.

We took a taxi and bus back to the finca and got past the G-dogs undetected.
Romero showed up at 1:15 and for 50,000 pesos he disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the washing machine.  (I don’t know that it was really dirty but I guess it was an opportunity she took and hopefully we won’t have to buy a new one.)  Teresa fired up the fireplace and made a hamburger for each of us.

Teresa called the movers and I understood they should be at the finca between 4 and 5pm or they will wait until early tomorrow morning.
They arrived at 5pm.  I gave them a quick lesson on how to use the Forearm Forklifts but I guess they have their own way.  One of the guys hefted the washing machine on his back and carried it up to the truck.

We got everything packed in the truck and we left at 6:30 just as it was getting dark.  Again we drove through Caldas and then the smaller town of Las Tablas (sp?).  We got everything unloaded and I paid the driver 80 mil plus another 20,000 for each of the 2 young men who did all the carrying.
On my way to Carbón de Leña I saw a stage set up in the park where a small orchestra was playing.

We found we had forgotten a few things: the waffle maker, the bathroom garbage cans, a glass shelf for one of her tables, and a round table to go with another glass shelf.

It appears that the close for the week was 2,987 COP to the USD.  It’s good to see that the fall has stopped and it’s recovered a little.

I finished Nelson DeMille’s The Lion and downloaded his book The Patriot.
This was the first night we slept in the master bedroom – before it was the guest bedroom.  Unfortunately there’s a street light outside to compound with the road traffic.

T-shirt of the day: Life begins after coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment