Saturday, May 7, 2016

Friday, May 6th, 2016



I slept well until 5am when I got up to make a trip to the bathroom.  About 5:30 the dogs started their barking and the workers arrived at 6am.  It rained from about 8 to 8:15.  I got up at 8:30.

Teresa told me the worker forgot to bring the milk so we’re going to Envigado for breakfast.  When I came out of the shower another worker showed up with the bag of milk.  After a breakfast of scrambled eggs and beans (calentao) without arepa and coffee, we’re waiting for the thunder & lightning (no rain) to pass before we go to Envigado.

Teresa told me she’s called 6 different people but can’t find anyone to move our stuff to Envigado.

I found the number for Carlos, the man who brought my stuff here from Laureles, but Teresa tried it and told me his number doesn’t work.  I sent him an email and asked him for his cell phone number.  We’ll see.
Among this week’s new US movie releases I would like to see Elstree 1976 (6.9) and Pelé: Birth of a Legend (8.0).

I received an email from a Russian man I casually knew more than 10 years ago.  He said he was in Milan, Italy and needed to borrow $3,500 for an operation for his sister.  (Of course he would pay me back later.)  For identity purposes I asked him where I live and he said Chicago.  I told him I don’t live in Chicago so he probably has the wrong person.

At 10:55 it started raining hard but stopped 5 minutes later, started again 3 minutes later, and stopped 20 minutes later.

Teresa packed a small suitcase with her perfumes and stuff and we left the finca at noon, got past the G-dogs undetected and were 
on a bus after a 10 minute wait.

For lunch we had the special of the day at La Bahia for 19,000 pesos (about $7).

We met Laura at Wilson’s apartment and we all walked to the new apartment.  Teresa stayed there to tidy up while Laura and I went to Exito.  I paid the Une bill (electricity) for the finca while Laura picked up a mop, broom, glass cleaner and wipes.  While she went back to the apartment I walked to the pharmacy where I bought my prostate medicine for the month.  I also stopped at a Gana store where I added 20mil to the cell phone.  (A couple old ladies really stared at me with my Spanish.  Must have been my accent.  Lol)

Back at the apartment I cleaned the sliding glass window in the living room as best I could reach.  I understand a man will come Monday to clean the outside better.  Laura forgot to buy soap to clean the floor so she went out again but found a closer store.

We left the apartment but after we got a block away Teresa realized she left the keys to the finca in the suitcase she left in the apartment.  (I’m glad she didn’t wait until we were at the finca to discover that!)  They went back for the keys while I waited where we were.

We walked to Exito where we picked up about 6 bags of groceries while Laura paid Wilson back for the money I borrowed from him.  I was wondering how we were going to carry everything until Laura showed up again.

We stopped at a small store outside where we ordered 3 turkey sandwiches and 3 sodas with the plan to eat everything on the bus.  We took a taxi to the highway and after a 15 minute wait we caught an express bus back to the finca.  Unfortunately, we got the last 3 seats in the back and all crowded together with our plastic bags we were unable to eat until we got back to the finca.  We got past the G-dogs before they realized we were there.  We got back in the dark at 7:15.

At 10pm it started raining.

T-shirt of the day: Nobody trains to get their butts kicked.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you will soon in a city. I like when you tell us about the day-to-day goings of a city life. Like when you were in Laureles. My plans are shifting a bit, for now. It seems my work prospects will be better in Bogotá so I´m considering Zipaquirá. But, I still have more than a year to decide. Who knows, i might end up in Medellín as I had planned.

    ReplyDelete