Saturday, May 21, 2016

Thursday, May 19th, 2016



Well, it looks like today should be another interesting day.  We have a lot planned which all depends on good timing.

The plan is I’m going to the ATM to take out the maximum cash for the day, we’re  buying the refrigerator with cash, having lunch at La Bahia, meeting Wilson who will be going with us to the finca, a truck should arrive from Caldas with the sand, concrete mix, and water tubes (pipes? hoses?) to finish the sideroad leading down to the finca, I hope I’ll have enough cash left to reimburse the driver, we’re loading up the truck with the last few things from the finca (like the fan I forgot) including the refrigerator, we’re dropping off the fridge at Wilson’s bar (not sure where he’s going to put it because space there seems pretty tight to me), we’re picking up the new refrigerator from Exito, moving it and the rest of our things into the apartment, and hopefully I’ll still have enough cash to pay the driver for his pickup and deliveries.

It will be interesting to see how all this works out.

We left the apartment at 12:30 and I asked Teresa if she had the keys to the finca.  She told me that will be tomorrow.  Sigh!

We stopped at a “school” called Idiomizar that advertized they teach English, Spanish, German, French, and Portuguese.  Teresa talked to a “receptionist” and I heard someone speaking English with an accent in a back room.  Not sure if that was the teacher or a student.  We got their business card.

We had lunch again at the garage restaurant.  I thought we decided we would split a meal and have a lot of salad but the waitress brought each of us a plate of beef.  The meat was dry and chewy as usual but it was at least edible without my jaws getting fatigued.  I only ate half of it and went back for more salad.  We each had a little cup of rice pudding for dessert.  The total came to 20,000 pesos (about $6.70).

In Exito when they rang up our order for the refrigerator I noticed the price was about $80 higher than yesterday.  I showed Teresa what we were going to pay yesterday, she questioned them, they checked some book, cancelled the sale and rerung it up at the correct price.  I paid in cash.  We got a receipt but I have no idea if they are going to deliver it or when we will be able to pick it up.  I guess Teresa will let me know.

We stopped at a copy center and had a copy made of the refrigerator receipt.  Teresa said it’s for the warranty.

In Exito Teresa picked up a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and I got a small bag of granola for 36,680 (about $12).

We stopped at one of those little Tienda D1 grocery stores where Teresa picked up a bottle of floor cleaner, a bottle of disinfectant, and a small brownie (which she subsequently said was too sweet) and I got a small package of dog biscuits and a bag of corn nachos.  (Now I have to remember to buy the salsa.)  The total was 12,100 (about $4).

She stopped to talk to the seamstress (Maria) and said I could go to the park and play chess.  I stopped first at the apartment and dropped off a few things.  At the park I waited about half an hour and finally a man invited me to a game.  I started with the black pieces, he was strong, and pushed me all over.  Finally, I got him in a perpetual check for a draw.  In the second game with white, I got to play my opening but he managed to open the king side before I did.  He sacked a bishop for a pawn so as not to allow me to castle.  I hung in there and traded pieces until I had the advantage and he resigned.
I met Teresa back at Maria’s shop and we walked back to the apartment.
Teresa started cleaning the tile grout in the dining room with a toothbrush.  I asked her if she’s going to do the whole apartment like this and she said “yes”.  I told her to be careful not to hurt her back.  (She did part of the dining room and kitchen and stopped.)

So far every day here in Envigado the daytime temperature has been between 72 and 80 degrees with 50-70% humidity.  But this is the rainy season; I hope the other months aren’t much worse.  I could really use that fan to put under my computer (chess) table and that refrigerator with its cold water and ice.

We had dinner at Carbón de Leña: a hamburger for me, pork shish kebab for Teresa and a cheese pastry for Laura.

I stopped real quick in Exito and saw some Mexican salsa but it only came in “hot” - I need mild or at least medium.

I understand the refrigerator should be delivered on Saturday and we should get wi-fi installed on that day also.

T-shirt of the day: I am excited about everything.  Do what makes you happy.  Life is better when you’re laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment