Saturday, October 27, 2018

Friday, October 26, 2018


I got up once about 3 or 4am, again at 6:30, finally getting up at 7:40.

We obviously got some rain during the night.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym.  As Teresa was leaving the gym she said something about my having to pay IVA of more than 300mil for the apt.  Not understanding completely I told her I would talk to her about it later at the apt.  I received a text message from Bart Roepke the Minnesottian asking if I wanted to meet for coffee.  He said he was in Mayorca getting his phone fixed.  I told him I was at the gym and after shower and lunch I would be available.  I completed all my exercises in 2 hours.

Back at the apt Laura told me it was an IVA of only 33,250 for the new apt.  (I understand IVA as being like a sales tax.)  I gave her the cash and she went somewhere and paid it and I emailed a photo of the receipt to the RE agency.

Among new US movie releases, I would like to see Hunter Killer (6.6).

Among local movies, Searching (7.8) is playing at 7pm in Santafe mall, Halloween (7.5) is playing at 6:10 in Viva Envigado and Bohemian Rhapsody (8.4) is playing in Viva Envigado at 6:10 in their iMax theater.

I emailed Chuck suggesting we go to Patrick’s Irish Sports Pub Sunday night to watch the Vikings vs Saints game.  Alternately, there’s Philly Sports Bar in Laureles that Bart told me about.

Bart texted me back and said he finished whatever he was doing in Mayorca and we would meet up another time.

I took a nap from 2:40 to 3:10.

Teresa told me that the apartment owners (husband and wife) are going to arrive at the agency at 5:30 to sign the contract.

I packed one of my suitcases with clothes from my closet.  My other suitcase is already packed with miscellaneous stuff that I occasionally dip into.  Teresa spent a good part of the afternoon repairing the walls from the nails and screws we used to hang paintings and stuff.

Laura sent me a list of requirements from the Au Pair agency.  The problem is that it sounds like it was written for England as they are asking for various certificates and CDTs (whatever they are).  I asked and Laura confirmed that she translated it from Spanish to English.  Ah, that explains it.  I asked her to ask the agency for the same information in English.  She said she’ll ask Laura on Monday.

Teresa asked me if I really want to go to the movies tonight and I said yes so at 6pm we were all dressing to go to the 7pm showing of Searching at Santafe.

The ladies were finally ready at 6:15, we walked down the hill and surprisingly it took us 5 minutes to catch a Taxi.

At Santafe mall the ladies went window shopping at Zara while I went upstairs to buy tickets.  I was surprised there was no line but there weren’t any good general seating tickets available for 10mil so it cost me 15,500 apiece for preferred seats.

Laura texted me that Teresa was hungry so we met at the food court.  It was now 6:45 and there wasn’t really any place you could order and eat in 15 minutes so we returned to the theater.  The ladies ordered hotdogs and sodas for themselves and I ordered popcorn and a soda.  While they went ahead and started filling their soda cups a young cashier started asking me questions in English:

Where are you from?  USA

What state?  Chicago, uh, Illinois.

How long have you been here? Almost 6 years.

Then a young girl standing in line with her boyfriend starts talking to me in English:

Why did you choose Medellin?  Beautiful weather, beautiful women and a low cost of living.

I asked where she was from and she said she’s from Miami and has been here 3 months.

I excused myself and caught up with Teresa and Laura.  When we got inside the theater a couple were sitting in 2 of our seats.  I showed them my tickets and they moved.

Oops!  A lot of the movie was computer texting and it was all in Spanish.  Luckily, most of the words I could figure out.  The movie was very good with a surprise ending.

Outside the mall we caught a taxi after waiting only a couple minutes.

Teresa informed me that the woman from the antique store no longer wants to buy our finca table and chairs.  But she does want us to put it in her store for her to sell.  I said first let’s look at other tables and get an idea of what they cost.  I think we’re going to check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Joke of the day
An old woman was sipping on a glass of wine, while sitting on the patio with her husband, and she says “I love you so much, I don’t know how I could ever live without you.”… 
Her husband asks, “Is that you, or the wine talking?”…
She replies, “It’s me, talking to the wine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment