Sunday, October 14, 2018

Saturday, October 13, 2018


I got up once during the night and woke/got up at 7am with Teresa.

After showers and a quick bowl of cereal we left the apt at 8:15.

At Euro we bought groceries and back at the apt Laura helped us carry them up the stairs.

Teresa and I took a nap from 10:30 to 11:30.

At 3:30 I left the apt for the mall.  My goal today was to see how many coffee cafes I could find.  On the first floor I counted 7, on the 2nd floor I counted 5, and I didn’t check the 3rd floor because it’s the floor with all the restaurants and food court.

There were so many people there I’m sure it raised the temperature a few degrees because I felt quite warm.

At a store called El Deportes (the sports) I found some exercise gloves Teresa was looking for and a young lady told me everything now is at a discount.  I also saw for sale a “training mask” that I’ve seen a man wear in the gym while he’s running on a treadmill.  It functions to inhibit oxygen mimicing (sp?) being at a higher altitude.  (We already are at a higher altitude!)

I had a café con leche and slice of carrot cake at Café Arangos on the 3rd floor – the same location as last Thursday – for 9,300 pesos.  The internet drifted in and out so much I was never able to get a good connection so I read some from my paperback book.

I stopped at an area identified as a wifi zone but there I couldn’t get a wifi signal at all.  Don’t believe everything you read.

As I was leaving the mall the only place I got a strong internet connection seemed to be just outside Starbucks and at the main entrance/exit to the mall.

I was back at the apt by 5:30.  When I informed Teresa how crowded the mall was now she’s no longer interested in visiting tonight.

I’ve noticed recently that my Expat Exchange emails seemed to be intermittent.  Today I happened to look at my Spam file and that’s where I found lots of unread emails.  Yikes!  Can someone out there tell me how to – I think the term is whitelist them to my email address?
Laura just informed me she’s been contacted by a 4th family – this one from Mercer Island, Washington.  From their profile it looks like they have a baby because they claim having only one child 0 years old.

Laura just got a letter emailed to her and they are 2 gay men.  What’s funny is that they are talking about their 3 month old daughter meeting other children and experiencing other cultures.  It appears they sometimes have to travel on business so I can understand their needing some backup.  I understand they are also looking for help starting in January.  This should be interesting.  Laura is very interested!

8:15 and Teresa went to visit her mother.

8:30 and someone nearby turned up the music so loud that everyone in the neighborhood could hear it.

I spent some time on the phone talking to my ex.  It appears she needs more help with a loan modification form.

Joke of the day
A businessman walks into a bank in New York City and asks for the loan officer. He says he is going to Europe on business for two weeks and needs to borrow $5,000.

The bank officer says the bank will need some kind of collateral for such a loan. So the businessman hands over the keys to a Rolls-Royce parked on the street in front of the bank.

Everything checks out, and the bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. An employee drives the Rolls into the bank's underground garage and parks it there.

The businessman returns two weeks later, repays the $5,000 and the interest, which comes to $15.41. The loan officer says, “We’re very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely, but we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked you out and found that you are a multimillionaire. What puzzles us is; why would you bother to borrow $5,000?”

The businessman replied: “Where else can I park my car for two weeks in New York City for only 15 dollars?”

3 comments: