Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Monday, July 4, 2022

Happy Independence Day!

Last night I went to bed at 10pm and fell asleep quickly. I woke up at 3am and heard Laura in the guest bathroom and saw light under my bathroom door. A couple minutes later all was quiet and still so I used that opportunity to go to the bathroom. Back in bed I quickly fell back asleep, woke up at 7:30 and got up at 8am.

Laura was still sleeping and probably won’t be up until 11am or so.

I texted Glenn I was leaving soon for Ganso y Castor for breakfast. He soon replied he was already there.

I put a large (36”?) belt on for the first time since my surgery. It didn’t hurt and it certainly helps hold my pants up.

At Ganso y Castor Glenn was seated off to the side, didn’t really acknowledge I was there and didn’t make any space for me at his table. I guess he was engrossed in playing pinochle. I took a table around the corner and had an omelette with ham, cheese, tomato and onion and 2 lattes. 

Flowers (orchids? & babies breath) on the table:






As Glenn left, he made a comment as to my not being very friendly.

On my return to the apt I saw that the closed yogurt restaurant is now a parilla, apparently a Messi (#10) themed grill.

My first SS deposit is now in my Charles Schwab account, in fact it was deposited on the 1st.

Laura left to have breakfast in Ganso & Castor with her gf Cindy.

I had just turned on CNN when they had Breaking News that there is/was an active shooter in Highland Park, IL, which is just outside (north) of Chicago. Updates as they happen: It appears to have happened about 40 minutes into their 10am parade start. The Governor reports at least 9 injured. 5 killed; 16 victims taken to area hospitals. 6 dead. Shooting suspect: White male, 18-20 years old, black hair. 24 transported to hospitals.  31 victims taken to area hospitals. Shooter appears to have been shooting from a roof. A firearm (rifle) has been recovered. 6 seriously injured. Shooter still at large. Shooter reported to be wearing a light-colored top. Shooter description: Longer dark hair, slight build, white or light blue top. Appears to have occurred at 10:14am. Four and a half hours later and the person responsible is still at large. Some nearby towns have cancelled their Independence Day festivities including Evanston, Skokie, Deerfield, Glencoe, Winnetka, Morton Grove, Northbrook, Waukegan, and Glenview (where I lived from 1981-1996). Shooter apparently gained access to a rooftop by a ladder attached to the building. Injured victims ranged from 8 years to 85 years of age. Twenty-three victims were taken to local Highland Park Hospital with a variety of injuries; nineteen have been treated and released.

At 5pm Highland Park Police Lou Jogmen identified 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo III as a person of interest. He is believed to be driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit with Illinois license plate DM80653. The suspect is considered “armed & dangerous”.

Over 300 mass shootings in the US so far this year.

Governor Pritzker made a public statement, "There are no words for the kind of monster who lies in wait and fires into a crowd of families with children celebrating a holiday with their community. There are no words for the kind of evil that robs our neighbors of their hopes, their dreams, their futures."

"Prayers alone will not put a stop to the terror of rampant gun violence in our country," the governor wrote. "We must -- and we will -- end this plague of gun violence."

Senator Tammy Duckworth also spoke.

Teresa returned at 5pm and reported it took 6-8 hours to get to Guatape yesterday but only 2 hours to return.

About 5:45 I found this photo of the suspect,



Talk about “butt ugly”!

About 6:50pm CNN and MSNBC had breaking news that the “person of interest” has been taken into custody.

I went to bed at 10pm and Laura had still to return from “breakfast”.

 

Funny pix of the day



2 comments:

  1. No, I said (jokingly) that you were anti-social. And yes, I was knee-deep in concentration mode. Next time feel free to shove my stuff to the side, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Terry, the white flowers you thought were orchids are actually an alba form of a Bauhinia which is also sometimes known as Hong Kong Orchid tree (usually with purple or lavender flowers) and it is not an orchid but instead is a legume (beans) relative.
    Cheers!
    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete