Saturday, December 24, 2022

Friday, December 23, 2022

Last night I went to bed at 10, took a while to fall asleep, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 6:15.

About 9:30 I started the process of ordering a Didi. The app switched drivers on me twice but we finally ended up with a guy named Edgar. As we drove away from the apt complex, I heard his GPS say, “continue straight, then turn left”. I asked if he spoke English but he said “no, but he wants to learn”. He pointed to his cellphone and said, “El Terminator” but I didn’t know what he was referring to. A minute later he said, “Arnold”, I listened closer and the voice I heard giving directions was that of Arnold Schwarzenegger. 😊 The driver went some crazy way to Arkadia mall, I’m guessing because Aguacatala was closed or maybe there was an accident. At one early stop light Chris Cajoleas (the Tejo Gringo) said hello while passing us on his motorcycle. By the time we arrived at the mall all the stores were open so it was after 10am.



Teresa went into H&M but soon came out and declared everything was ugly. She checked out a couple more stores and finally had luck in Studio F. It took her some time to pick out clothes for her sister Adriana and her nieces Catalina and Daniela for 1,058,600 pesos ($222). It was now after 11:30 so we went up to the 4th floor and got in line at Crepes & Waffles. They opened at noon and we got a table on their patio.



I had their chicken pita sandwich with fresh mango juice and Teresa’s instructions to the waitress took about 5 minutes. It looked like chicken on the side with a salad. 70,450 pesos ($15).

She wanted to buy Christmas bags for the presents even though I told her I thought I saw some in our bedroom. I think she replied something like you can never have too many. There was a long line in Dollar City. Teresa told me she wanted to get her eyelashes done so I told her to go get started and I’ll pay for the 6 Christmas bags. When I met her in the “eyelash place” she told me to come back in an hour and a half. I went to McDonald’s and ordered an Oreo McFlurry to help cool me down. Then I went down to Santa Leña where I ordered a latte and a glass of water. A waitress brought me the water but I never did receive the latte. Still, I needed the ice water more than the latte so I put 10mil in their tip box as I was leaving. Ninety minutes later I was back upstairs and she still wasn’t finished.

I had to wait another 30 minutes for them to finish with her. I think they glue the eyelashes in one lash at a time. Is that possible? Anyway, it was 190 mil ($40) and Teresa paid for it.

She stopped in a Bella Piel (beautiful skin) store and bought some SPF cream. That was the only purchase I made where they made the mistake of charging it in USD instead of COP. (The difference was probably something like $5).

We went down to the 2nd sub-basement where we waited in a long line for a taxi. That’s when I told Teresa THE BIG NEWS: Jacob is going to propose to Jeannie tonight! He called me 2 weeks ago and asked for my blessing which I gave with one condition, that they not get married in the winter. 😊

The wait for the taxi was 80 minutes and it was another 40 minutes back to our apt.

Jeannie called me at 7:45 while Teresa was resting. She flashed a large diamond ring and it looked like they were in a limo so Jacob did good. (One step closer to finally being a grandfather?) I’m sure her mother will have a ball planning the wedding.

Mariachi music started at 8:45. I looked outside and couldn't see a band nor where the music was coming from but it was sure loud enough for everyone to hear. By the time I went to bed at 10pm the loudness hadn’t changed but the music sounded more Colombian.

Today I got in 4,612 steps.

 

Fun pix



No comments:

Post a Comment