Thursday, December 29, 2022

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Last night I went to bed at 10pm, fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, finally waking at 6am and getting up at 7am.

Teresa informed me we’ll be having lunch out today, or “en la calle” as she says it. She says she has some clothes to exchange in Viva Envigado.

Teresa tells me it’s 450mil for one night at the hotel in Guatape. I told her I’m okay with that, especially considering it’s New Years Eve.

I met Marcos at Maca at 10am. He has a cousin (a hippie?) coming in for a month visit and he wants to meet my brother of coffee. He’s been watching Better Call Saul but doesn’t care for it very much so I recommended the 4-part series Inside Man. After coffee he invited me to go with him to Mayorista. We walked there and in Badia I bought 15 small (10-pack) boxes of Chamomile tea that were on sale.



We stopped in Mas Que Fresco where Marcos bought a medium red snapper and I bought a slightly smaller one for 40,330 pesos to surprise Teresa. Marcos stopped at a meat store to buy some ground beef. While waiting, a man came in with two buckets of fresh red strawberries. Another man bought a small bag for 5mil. I thought that was a pretty good deal so I asked for a 10,000 pesos bag. The other man said “ten thousand” and I replied, “I didn’t think he would understand that” and he chuckled. We stopped at the metro station where I added 50mil to my Civica card. We walked back to his apt and wished each other a Happy New Year.

I returned to the apt, very hot and tired; it’s only noon and I’ve already got 5,328 steps in for today.

Teresa called me at noon and I told her I was in the apt. I think we’re going to meet at La Bahia later for lunch.

Laura wants us to go to San Andres when she visits in February so she showed me a Hotel Casa Blanca for 3 nights for 3 people for $955 and I told her to book it.

Microsoft billed me $99.99 to renew my MS Office 365 subscription so I got online and cancelled it right away. If it doesn’t come off my banking statement by tomorrow I’ll contact USAA to decline the charge.

I walked to La Bahia and Teresa was finishing her lunch. She often has to eat something every 2 hours. She’s returning to the apt so I paid for her lunch and walked across the street to the mall.  Last chance to see the state of the Ikea construction for this year:



Upstairs I had the large BBQ sandwich (no fries) and a can of Coke. Charles Turner called me when I had a burger in one hand and my drin k in the other. I asked if I could call him back. Back downstairs I had a latte with a glass of ice water in Urbania. I called Charles and we chatted a bit. We’re going to try to meet for coffee next year. 😊

I made an ATM withdrawal with my USAA card then picked up milk, croutons and tomatoes in Exito before returning to the apt by taxi.

I received an email from Charles Schwab that there is a message for me in their Message Center. I found this:

Thank you for choosing Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. for your investment needs. We have received your Update Your Schwab One International Account application; however, there is additional information we need before we can process your request:

 

The passport we received has the machine - readable zone (MRZ) lines blocked. Unfortunately, we do need those lines to be visible to accept your proof of identification. Please submit a new clear photocopy of a current passport with all personal information (Name, date of birth, issue date and expiration of passport), with photo clearly visible; please be sure to provide the full spread of the top and bottom pages including the passport number and machine - readable zone (MRZ) lines.

 

Also on page 7 section 9, we are missing your signature and date. If you are a U.S. citizen, then please provide a page 7 of the application with your signature and date under Section 9. Or alternatively, please provide a form W9. I have provided the w9 form to this message if needed. 

 

Once you have gathered the required information, the documents may be faxed to 1-415-956-3212, sent by secure message using the Schwab.com Message Center, or mailed to Charles Schwab: International Operations, PO Box 982601, El Paso, TX 79998-9989, USA. Please remember to reference ID AM-20814836 when submitting documents or calling. 

 

We appreciate your business and we will process your request as soon as possible. Please contact us at (outside the U.S.) 1-415-667-8400 or (inside of U.S.) 1-877-686-1937 if you have any questions or concerns.

 

I have no idea what those MRZ lines are but I’ll try again. It’s hard to believe I didn’t sign the application. Not sure how I’m going to get it there. First, I guess I’ll see if Auros can fax it to them.

I understand we’re sharing a hotel room with 11 people in Guatape New Year’s Eve!?

It sounds like that trip is falling apart, something about the cabana has already been rented. Teresa is asking me about going to some restaurant but I think 3 days before the end of the year is a little late to be looking for reservations.

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes of Shooter (7.5). Interesting series but I loath their choice of background music.

I’ve made plans to meet for coffee with Jerry at Parva tomorrow at 10am.

Unable to uncouple myself from my GP in the States’ medical group, I received this email:

December 28, 2022

 

Dear Patients, Friends, and my Extended Families,

 

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this letter. As many of you know, I have been out of the office for the last few months. Just before my absence, I was diagnosed with an aggressive form of metastatic prostate cancer. This required an extensive surgical procedure, and down the road I will also need additional radiation therapy. Since this is now my second bout with cancer it has taken a toll on me both physically and mentally. To add to this, my parents are in their 90s and I recently had to admit my father into hospice care.

 

Given all that is going on, I have determined it would be in my best interest to retire. After being in practice for the last 37 years and knowing many of your for most or all of that time, I hope you can imagine how difficult this decision was to make. I have enjoyed being part of your lives through both the good and the difficult, and now it is time for me to focus on taking care of my family and working through my cancer therapy.

 

Though I am leaving, the doctors at Glen Medical: Dr. Ficho, Dr. Kulkarni, and Dr. Nikurs, will continue to do their best to integrate my patients into their practices. As of January 1st, my partners will take over. This includes responding to messages and managing refills. If you decide to stay with Glen Medical, there is nothing you need to do other than call the office and request to see one of the other doctors. You can be confident that you will continue to receive excellent care.

 

Thank you for all the positive messages, prayers, and phone calls you have sent me in the last few months. I hope you text or call me with updates on your families as I would love to stay in contact and hear how you are doing. I wish you the best of health in the future;

 

I will miss you all dearly.

 

From my heart,

Dr. Scott Meyer MD

 

Today I got in 8,968 steps, a new record for me.

 

Fun pix



No comments:

Post a Comment