Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday, May 6th, 2013

When I made the microwave popcorn last night I pushed the crispetas button 3 times so it should pop it the longest but there were still a lot of un-popped kernels.  (When I used to make it myself with the 3 quart saucepan, using Internet instructions I found I would only have like 4 kernels left un-popped.)

As expected, the 2 glasses of Pepsi I had last night left me awake until a little after midnight and still I got up a couple of times during the night.  (But it’s worth it – occasionally!)

I slept in until a little after 7am and decided to skip the Frosted Flakes routine this morning so I went down to Laureles Mall and had the Huevos Revuenos plus a bunuelo at Bunuelos Express for a total of 6,500 ($3.61).  I also solved the butter for my popcorn problem as they gave me a 10gram package of refrigerated butter which I didn’t need.  So, the day I plan on making my own popcorn on the stove I’ll just have breakfast here and maybe ask for an additional butter.  Now all I have to do is get a 3-quart sauce pan.

After breakfast I stopped at Lavanderia Y Tintoreria and picked up the bedding for the 2 beds which cost me 15mil ($8.33).  It was all washed, dried and neatly folded and placed in a plastic bag and returned to me in my original mesh laundry bag.
I then continued practicing on Rosetta Stone.  I mentioned I had trouble making progress because of my pronunciation, or lack thereof.  I figured how to change the sensitivity setting so I set it to Easy but still didn’t notice any difference.  Finally, out of frustration I turned it off temporarily and now I’m making some progress.  I think I’ll be turning it on and off until I can figure out what the problem is.

One Expat just summed up life in Medellin: “As retirees, we have nothing to do and all day to do it.”  Lol!

Just before 2pm I dropped off my short sleeve shirts and my white bath towel at Lavanderia y Tintoreria.  They will be ready Wednesday at 10am for 9mil ($5).  I asked the lady there to write down their hours and they are open Monday-Friday 8:30am-7pm, Saturday 8:30am-4pm, closed on Sunday.  

I then went to Viva Mall to have Chicken Teriyaki for lunch at Sarku Japan.  While I was standing there trying to figure out my options: 1st the cashier gave me a flyer advertising a special for 9,900 (M-F 11am-4pm), 2nd a worker there handed me a free piece of chicken on a toothpick, 3rd the manager asked (in near perfect English) if he could help me.  His name is Javier and he went to Palatine High School.  Small world!  He told me: There are 18 Sarku restaurants in Colombia (or was it Medellin?).  They are owned by the same company as Frisby (he likened their chicken to Popeye’s; I think it’s more like KFC) who also owns Cinnabons.  So, for $5.50 I got Teriyaki Chicken, vegetables (which to me seemed more like a salad), fried rice, a Maki Roll and a 12oz Pepsi.



I went into Exito and found another thicker yoga mat for only 20,900 ($11.61).  Across the street at a small pharmacy I was looking for Neosporin or something similar for my cut.  I gave the pharmacist a note asking for it or another similar topical antibiotic and he gave me something called Benlic for 4 mil ($2.22).  I Googled it when I got home and found out it is for the “topical treatment of dermal infections”.  I think I’ll look for Neosporin at Carrefour later.  They didn’t have my enlarged prostate medicine so I’ll have to go to Carrefour before I run out.
Back home I continued with Rosetta Stone.  It seems like it is getting a little more lenient with my pronunciation; maybe I had to reboot the computer or something first.
6:30 went to Laureles Mall and ordered chili con carne and a mango juice from El Comedor de Chava for 11,900 ($6.61).  This time I chose to have my mango juice with milk instead of water for a change.  It was all very good!  The chili had some sliced fresh avocado on top and came with a patacon (potato pancake) which was also tasty because it was warm and crispy.

I Stopped at the Mac Center on the way back and got a price on earbuds for my iPad - 90,000 ($50) Yipes!

The weather today was delightful as I wore my jeans and tennis shoes all day.

Food today was a total of 28,300, way under my daily budget amount of 50mil.

If I think of it, after I pick up my shorts tomorrow, I’ll check out the restaurants on Calle 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment