Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wednesday, May 15th, 2013


I was supposed to do my yoga exercises this morning but my shoulder muscles still felt sore from Monday morning’s routine.  I decided to wait until Friday to do them the next time.  I guess that 4 month layoff affected me more than I thought.  Better to be careful – I can’t afford to hurt myself.

I got to Exito just as it opened at 8:30.  When I came out I saw the one female guard that I’ve seen many times before.  She had asked me before where my girlfriend is and I told her we aren’t together anymore.  Every time I’ve seen her since I have told her “no girlfriend today, maybe tomorrow”.  Today she was especially talkative but, of course, I didn’t understand a word she said.

I spend most of the morning changing my less important passwords like eBay (which I will probably never use again) and iTunes.  Of course I also had to download iTunes to my laptop.  I hope I can figure some way to transfer the songs from my library on my iPad to my laptop.  (Maybe they are sitting somewhere in the iTunes servers somewhere and I just have to figure out how to access them.)

I had an unusual visitor this morning.  I only remember seeing one once before – last year I believe it was – in the States.  This one is much smaller, either a slightly different type or maybe not mature yet.  See if you can figure it out from the 4 pictures I took of it on my curtain. Answer at the end of today’s post.






I got the following email from an inquiry I had made to Rosetta Stone: Thank you for contacting Rosetta Stone. Using a USB headset is not mandatory but we do recommend using the Rosetta Stone headset to receive the best results in your learning progress.  Finally, after so many people telling me it’s mandatory, someone tells me that I really don’t need it.  That’s good, because I might be able to find one here in Medellin.

Again when I started Rosetta Stone it told me I wasn’t pronouncing the first word – Hola – correctly.  By looking at a comparison of the graph of the pronunciation of the speaker and myself I think I figured out the problem.  Because the floors here are tile and the walls are bare it’s like I’m talking in an echo chamber.  I can see the extra sound in the graph at the end of each word.  I set the pronunciation sensitivity again to Easy to I’ll soon know if that solves the problem.

On my way to lunch I noticed they had a large mural lying on the sidewalk outside Viva Mall.  They had been changing the fencing just outside the (always closed) doors adjacent to the food court.  Lunch was a burger, fries, and coke at Gordogs in Laureles Mall.  It poured from about 12:30 until 1:15 when I left.  I stopped at an ATM machine and took out 100mil for this afternoon’s purchases.

I washed my Chicago Bears t-shirt for the first time in a little Fab and cold water.  It will probably take a couple of days to dry.

Reina came by taxi (which I paid for of course) about 2pm.  She brought my suit that I had brought with me when I visited Medellin last June.  Soon after she got here it started pouring.  We walked down to Laureles mall to see the Vet.  On the way I saw a man in either a EPM or UNE uniform going from house to house leaving what looked like bills.  Finally!  The vet put some medicine from a tube in Angel’s mouth and gave Reina the rest to give to him each of the next couple of days.  Then she gave Angel an injection and boy did he complain bitterly this time.  Whatever it was must have either been very uncomfortable or maybe there was just more of it and the needle was in him longer.  He really yelped and cried and squirmed but he didn’t try to bite.  (The injection cost 15,543 ($8.64.))  Then we bought a brush for him and what was probably another month’s worth of food.  All this came to 59,591 ($33.11).

We stopped and had a cup of coffee and we shared a pastry (14mil; $7.78).  At the table next to us 4 ladies were just sitting down with a couple decks of cards and lots of coins.  I then gave her 5 mil for some arthritis medicine and another 20mil for taxi fare.  I walked her across the street where she caught a taxi.  I guess I’ll see her again on or about June 4th when Angel is due for his next shot.  

On my way back I could see that the mural was behind the fence with a McDonald’s type playground area for children.  I guess they will close it from the outside and open the doors from the food court.  Time will tell.

When I got home I found all the bills for the building just inside the front door; they had obviously been slipped under the door.  My utility bill is 139,586 ($77.55) and my communications bill is 86,351 ($47.97) for a total of 225,937 ($125.52).  At least now I know what I owe so I know how much I will have left this month for food.  And the utility bill especially should go down next month.  Now I have to see if I can figure out how to pay it.  I hope it’s as easy as going into the Exito and giving them the bills and my money.  It appears I have until May 22nd to pay the bills without additional charges (sin recargo hasta).

I’m going to have to be real careful with my money from now to the end of the month to ensure I have enough money left for food.  Saturday I’ll probably just check to see if Monterey Mall has the USB headphones with microphone and wait until next month to buy them.

Dinner was Chili con carne and fresh mango juice for 11,600 at El Comedor de Chava.  The 4 ladies were still there playing cards.  The guard even walked up to them and talked to them briefly so I guess playing cards for money isn’t illegal in Colombia.




It’s a praying mantis.  The best clue is to look at the folded “arms”.



I downloaded a Nook app on my iPad.  Supposedly I can then read the same book on either device and it will keep track of where I am on each.  Well, if I am reading from the Nook and go to the iPad it will take me where I left off but not the other way around.  Still it’s kind of neat.

I watched PBS on US TV Now from about 8-10pm.  One of the expats turned me on to this free online service for people living outside the US.  It was an interesting program about Neanderthals.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment