Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday, May 31st, 2013

Again I had difficulty getting to sleep and I got up 4 times during the night.  I’m not going to have iced tea in the evening again.  The only reason I had it again this time is because I wanted to find out the size of the bottle.

I think it rained all night, not hard, just a steady rain.

On the way to Exito I got to say good morning to the pretty young lady as I passed her walking her dog.
 
On the way back from Exito with my milk I noticed guys walking the streets delivering the latest issue of Gente newspaper.

Today I finished Toward the Setting Sun: Columbus, Cabot, Vespucci, and the Race for America by David Boyle.  It was good to read about those explorers but I didn’t need all the background and history of all the characters related to them.
 
Again today I was fully dressed and comfortable all afternoon.
 On my way to lunch I gave the remainder (probably about 2/3) of my bag of milk to the lady sitting on the street corner, with her 2 little kids, selling little packages of cookies and candies.  She seemed to appreciate it.  We’ll see how it goes next time.

 About noon I had Teriyaki Chicken for lunch at Sarku’s with a pepsi.
 
I had a large pepsi from Frisby’s while I started reading a chess book I brought with me Comprehensive Chess Course Volume II from the States.
 
Dario joined me a little after 2pm and we had a long close game that I won in the endgame.  As the game was nearing the end a couple of young men stopped at our table and watched till the end.  Dario had to leave and one of the young men, Andrew, who was wearing a chess t-shirt, (that should have been a clue!) sat down and started to push me all over the board.  Near the end I suckered him into taking a free piece and I got an easy back rank checkmate.  We played another game and he made a mistake early and I got a pretty quick win.  Then the 3rd game was real close to the end and he won that game.
 
He wanted to play another but it was 5pm and I told him I was tired and had had enough.  I explained to Dario and Andrew I would probably be unavailable next Monday thru Wednesday but I would be there Thursday and Friday.  I think this could be the beginning of a chess club.
 
BTW, it rained all afternoon from about 1:30 on.
 
After Earth opened today.  It only got a 5.3 rating on IMDB.com but I still want to see it if I can find it here with subtitles.  Another movie The Kings of Summer sounds interesting too but, not being an action movie, it might be harder to find here.
 

Dinner was beef shish kebab at SanJote for 9mil ($5) plus a strawberry shake for another 4mil ($2.22).  There was some question about the order but I didn’t understand so I just told them it wasn’t important.  As I was waiting for my order I think I figured out that they were asking me how I wanted it cooked.  It turned out to be medium which was fine with me.  But I still like the chicken shish kebab the best.

I checked the movie theaters here and so far neither of the movies I mentioned previously are playing today.  All the theaters are showing Iron Man 3, Fast & Furious 6, and Hangover III. 

No comments:

Post a Comment