Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

Today is my first full day of “going solo” in Medellin.

Last night I took my medicine about 1 ¾ hours late.  I got up a couple of times, the last being about 4:30, after which I had some difficulty getting back to sleep.  5:45 I heard Lionel’s radio come on; it’s muffled but it’s still bothersome.  I’ll have to start using my iPad or fan to counteract that sound with my own.

Yesterday, my toenail was scraping my flesh as I was walking so this morning I pulled it off and what is underneath is a combination of a nail and just rough skin.  I’m not sure if walking is going to irritate it but I’d better be ready with some Band-Aids.

I see the Social Security deposit is in my USAA account so I emailed Reina about it.  I also told her I would give her 22 mil for a taxi and to please bring either my suit or the little table she said she would give me.

8:15 I left to take my dirty bedding to the dry cleaners.  (I changed the bedding on each of the beds last night.)  I first stopped at Lavanderia Y Tintoreria that I first used with my brother back in March but at 8:30 it was closed.  I stopped at the other dry cleaners in Viva and it was also closed.  I guess I’ll have to come back after 10am when I’m sure they will be open.  I stopped in Exito and bought milk for breakfast.  It was 2.820mil ($1.57), a little more than I remembered from yesterday but still not bad considering I already have the cereal and don’t want to waste it.  I had Frosted Flakes and Choco Listo for breakfast but I didn’t care for the latter (similar to chocolate milk) so I’m going to give that to Reina when she arrives.

I’m happy to report I didn’t have any trouble with the big toe without the nail although I certainly wouldn’t want to walk any long distance on it.

10am I went back to Lavanderia Y Tintoreria and dropped off my bedding. It weighed just a tad over 5 kilos so at 3mil a kilo that totals 15mil and should be ready Saturday.  Since I don’t know what time Saturday I told him I would pick it up on Monday.
I then went to Viva, took 720,000 pesos out of my USAA account and then went into Exito and bought a 7# dumbbell (36,900) and a package of bandaids (hopefully no relation).  I plan to start an at home morning workout on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  I also priced a 3 quart (2.8 liters) saucepan at 66,900 if I want to make my own popcorn.  Sounds a little expensive to me.   (Anyway, I haven’t figured out the butter angle yet because I don’t have a refrigerator.  Guess I’m back to microwave popcorn.)

When I got home I emailed Reina that I was successful getting the money and I would see her at 1pm.

11am someone rang my door bell.  It was one of the workmen from the building but unfortunately he was unsuccessful in fixing the light switch in the 3rd bedroom.  He said he would have an electrician here tomorrow.

11:20 someone from EPM is recording the meters in the driveway.



11:45 I left for Laureles Mall to have lunch. At “Yummy – Come Feliz” (“come feliz” means “eat happy”) I had their Special of the Day: a bowl of bean soup, a small salad, rice, a few small potatoes, a large portion of chicken, and pineapple juice for 10mil ($5.56).  One nice touch is there is no styrofoam or plasticware.  It’s all served on “china”   with real “silverware”.  And it was yummy!

When I got back to the apartment at 12:45 Reina and Dylan were waiting for me.  They brought the little table they promised and also the curtains from the utility room.  I gave her the rest of the money I owed her and also the step stool and one of the small metal wastebaskets.  Reina said she will have to pick it up on Saturday 3, 4, or 5pm because they are on their way to the University to pay Dylan’s tuition.  (Dylan asked me for money for a haircut – I don’t think so!)

1:30 it starts raining lightly.  Instead of shopping for t-shirts & shorts I think I’ll take advantage of the cooler weather and do some more cleaning.

Spent part of the afternoon doing more cleaning.  I finally removed the ant’s food source so that more than anything ought to reduce their numbers.

Just before 5pm I walked over to that open air store and bought 3 t-shirts for 12mil, 14mil, and 15mil (40mil total; hey, that’s what the receipt says!; $22.22).  I didn’t care for their shorts so I think I’ll pick up a couple pair from Exito even though it will be a bit pricier.  On my way back I stopped at Mall of Laureles and had Combo #2 at Frisby: 1 chicken breast, 1 wing, cole slaw, fries, and a 16oz. Pepsi for 17.1mil ($9.50).  As usual it includes a pair of plastic gloves to keep your hands clean. They also include a package of honey which apparently is very popular here with chicken.  Then on the cross over bridge on the way back I bought 1 kilo of fresh strawberries for 3mil ($1.67) that I will probably munch on for the rest of the evening.  (Today’s food total came to 32,920 pesos well within my daily budget of 50mil.)

Tried on the t-shirts when I got home and they fit perfectly.  They all have something different (and a bit strange) written on the front in English:
#1 is red with “Industry Quality 1946 we have always had the highest quality record Tokyo”.
#2 is white with “The World Keeps Changing”.
#3 is gray with “Cambridge since 1986 Nottingham Root Camp”.  (maybe it’s supposed to say Boot Camp but it sure looks like an “R” to me.)

Tomorrow I have to clean the kitchen and the area of the dining room where the table now stands and then I think I’m done for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment