Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday, May 28th, 2013

I had a real good night’s sleep from 11pm to 6am only getting up once during the night.  I was actually awakened by what sounded like a dove’s repetitive song somewhere outside my bedroom window. 

After breakfast I did something different.  I took my chess set and books to Laureles Mall and starting studying a specific opening.  (I have a tournament style plastic roll up board with pieces that fit perfectly into a carrying case.)  For about 3 hours I studied an opening is called the English.   Then I had my usual hamburger combo #3 at Gordog’s for 11mil.  Later I had a large Pepsi from Frisby for 3700.

Right after lunch a Colombian asked if he could play a game of chess with me and of course I said “sure”.  It was a real close game, he really had me against the ropes but I prevailed in the end.  He thanked me for the game and then left.

About 2pm it started pouring and was noticeably cooler, especially to me in my shorts and sandals.  Lol.  And at times there was very strong thunder.

I started studying my opening again and another Colombian asked if he could play.  Again it was a very close game and I thought I was going to get crushed early on but I barely eked out a victory again.  For both those wins I was playing the white pieces – considered a slight advantage.  Then he asked if we could play another game.  This time I had black and again he was crushing me early on.  I hung on and had just found the move to give me a definite advantage and he had to leave.  He spoke pretty good English and asked me if I come there often.  I said everyday and I understood he’s there 2 or 3 times a week in the afternoon.  I didn’t understand his name even though he told me twice, next time I’ll have him write it down.  I told him I would start coming in the afternoons and I would bring my chess set.  I finally left about 4pm.

I bought a kilo of strawberries for 3 mil from the guy on the corner.

5:10 I found another small lizard on the garbage can in the kitchen.  I was able to scoop him up without hurting him and I tossed him on the small tree next to my balcony.

5:15 and it’s raining again. 

6pm and I had dinner at Viva: another ham sandwich at Subway for 7mil and a Lipton iced tea, peach, from Sarku’s 3500 ($5.83) total.  And strawberries back home for dessert!

Uh Oh!  I just Googled the tea and found the peach flavor has 19mg of caffeine per 8oz serving.  Well, we’ll see how I sleep tonight.

I’m planning on watching Constitution USA on PBS at 8pm.



It started raining at 9:15 and was still raining when I went to bed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment