Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013


It rained most of the night.  I woke up about 4am and had trouble getting back to sleep.

I got up about 6:45 and after my usual morning routine I walked over to Calle 44 and bought one of their donuts coated with sugar for 500 pesos (28 cents).  (I’ve wanted to try one of those for months.)  I should have asked for it in a plastic bag (bolsa plastico) but he handed it to me in a napkin so I just took it.  Of course I finished it before I got back to the apartment.  I was surprised to find it had a filling – something similar to apple.  Very tasty!

I finally got an answer from RS about my headset question.  They said to be sure that it contains a directional microphone.  (They also recommended turning the input level down to 30.)  After checking online I found that a directional microphone picks up sound from only one direction and is AKA a uni-directional microphone.  The microphones with all 3 of the headsets I found in the Monterey Mall are Omni directional meaning they pick up the sound equally from all directions.  Sigh!  Back to the drawing board.  At least now I have a better idea of what I am looking for – a USB headset with a uni-directional microphone.  Now all I have to do is go to each of the hundred or so shops in the Monterey Mall to see if I can find one.  Or if not, in the meantime do I take the chance on spending $30 for something that may or may not work?

I also found the following recommendation online:
“Make sure you position the mic slightly to the side of your mouth when you speak.  This way you will reduce those popping sounds you get when you say words beginning with “p” or “b”.  This will also cut down on the sound of you breathing, which, lets face it, isn’t really required listening.”
I also found a PDF file with RS headset recommendations but it’s for RS version 3: http://www.skonline.org/support/Headset%20Recommendations%20for%20RS.pdf

I sent RS a reply to their email asking if they have specific headset recommendations for version 4.

Again I was tired this morning so I tried to take a nap from about 10:30-noon but it was difficult with the pounding coming from downstairs.  (Later I found a man replacing the tile inside Lionel’s apartment door.)

12:30 As I’m walking out the door to go to lunch I ran into one of the men who work in the building.  I understood he wanted to see the things that need to repaired in my apartment that I showed Martha earlier in the week.  He left and told me he would get to them later.  I told him I was going to lunch and asked him to come back after 2pm.  

BTW, I’ve been wearing my jeans and shoes for several days now with no problem.  I guess besides the rainy season it’s also the cooler season.

On my way to Viva I saw a yellow diamond shaped sign hanging from the back window with “bebe abordo” – baby on board – remember when those were so popular 20-30 years ago?

I had the chicken teriyaki at Sarku’s again and started reading the new book that was now synced to my iPad.

3pm and I hear a little thunder, it’s getting dark and a little windy and cooler.  And then the rain starts again!  And then it’s pouring!  20 minutes later and it’s all over.

According to Wikipedia, July & August are the hottest months with an average high of 82.9 & 82.8 respectively.  The coolest months are October thru December with an average high of 80.2, 80.6 & 80.8.  Not much difference is there?

Bottom line, RS recommends only 4 models for version 4: Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 (appr. $25) or Plantronics models Audio 500 ($35), 470 ($35) or 655 ($50).  I found the prices doing a quick Google search.
Well, now I have some specific models to ask for.  Now I just have to find one!

4:30 and I hear more thunder.  But nothing more than a slight drizzle.

5:30 I left for dinner.  I had 2 bacon hamburgers at Burger King 9,000 ($5) and a frozen coconut lemonade at Sarku for 4,700 ($2.61).  Guess what?  It was raining when I came out at 6:30.  When I look outside now in the dark it doesn’t look like it’s raining but I can hear it against the corrugated plastic on the roof.


I finished recreating my USAA checkbook register before I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment